Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just tested mine again and got it up to 175 KM before it started to hold itself back. Then it dawned on me. My car is the 200S AWD model. Is there a difference in the speed between the 200 V6 FWD model and the 200 V6 AWD model? The AWD is a slightly heavier car so that may be a factor. Also, I have only done this while in Drive mode and not Sport mode. Are the drivers reaching these speeds doing this is S mode? With the AWD model S mode puts your car in a 60/40 rear torque split.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So as soon as I get the tune and tires I'll see! My Focus could hit 152 gps verified. That had terrible aerodynamics do to the body kit. This car is aerodynamic as ****, and more powerful. I'm betting 165 with everything I have now and a tune?

·
Registered
162 Posts
So as soon as I get the tune and tires I'll see! My Focus could hit 152 gps verified. That had terrible aerodynamics do to the body kit. This car is aerodynamic as ****, and more powerful. I'm betting 165 with everything I have now and a tune?
Are you taking 165mph?

Reactions: Michael502

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
... my AWD V6 with the heavy duty 330mm disk brakes seems pretty stable at higher speeds... although I am not condoning going that far over the speed limit on a public highway.

You can't prevent bad judgment behind the wheel with a speed limiter. Most crashes are around 35MPH. Almost all crashes are because of bad judgment including drugs, alcohol, distraction (texting etc...) and plain stupidity, not to mention drowsiness - probably more dangerous than driving while impaired.

I did raise the limiter on my 13' V6 Limited to 145MPH (since tires safe to 149) then 190MPH just out of principle (default "Diablo" tune). I don't like speed limiters - or autonomous vehicles. No speed limiters in the 70's etc... (I wasn't of driving age till the late 80's but I had several 70's cars with big V8's when I was young) and there were probably less high speed crashes then with crappy tires, box shaped cars with 4 wheel drum brakes in the 70's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
... my AWD V6 with the heavy duty 330mm disk brakes seems pretty stable at higher speeds... although I am not condoning going that far over the speed limit on a public highway.

You can't prevent bad judgment behind the wheel with a speed limiter. Most crashes are around 35MPH. Almost all crashes are because of bad judgment including drugs, alcohol, distraction (texting etc...) and plain stupidity, not to mention drowsiness - probably more dangerous than driving while impaired.

I did raise the limiter on my 13' V6 Limited to 145MPH (since tires safe to 149) then 190MPH just out of principal (default "Diablo" tune). I don't like speed limiters - or autonomous vehicles. No speed limiters in the 70's etc... (I wasn't of driving age till the late 80's but I had several 70's cars with big V8's when I was young) and there were probably less high speed crashes then with crappy tires, box shaped cars with 4 wheel drum brakes.
I agree with you 100%. My 2015 200S V6 AWD is heavy duty brakes and a tight suspension. When I have taken it up over 100 mph it is very smooth and handles well. I feel it could go so much faster if not for the limit built in. When I hit top speed it just pull itself back a bit, but by know means does it feel unsafe or out of control. I have a European background and have allot of relatives in both Italy and Germany, and they have no speed limit on their highways there, yet have much fewer accidents then in North America. I remember years while visiting there with my family, my Dad driving my uncles alfa romeo giulietta on the Autostrade from Italy to Germany going 200 kmh and other cars just whipping past us on the left lane.

The 200 V6 is a powerful car at almost 300 HP. And it really handles on the road well. Maybe the speed limitation is there for that very reason knowing that with all that power people will abuse it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been ~150 mph in a Focus, less aerodynamic, crappy brakes, and.....well, I guess the suspension settled really well at that speed. Regardless of what vehicle, it's a bit scary. Biggest downfall was brakes. Fried them a few times. I don't condone going crazy speeds like that. There is a time and place. Only later at night when there's little traffic, and only on highways and knowing the road. And with proper tires. My only fears traveling 120+ mph are deer, and a tire going. I have grown up on dirtbikes going very fast on single track trails (very tight, bars just pass trees at times), very fast snowmobiles, sand rails, street bikes, (supposedly my cousin hit 190's on his R1, I only took it to ~160, too scary on a bike, not my thing), and various modified autos (my whole family is speed freaks). So, I feel comfortable and highly attentive at speeds. Again, not saying it right for any/everyone to do.

Now according to articles, this car has a phenomenal c/d (is very aerodynamic), to me when I'm close to the limiter it is very stable, and I tend to hit the limiter very fast. So there's a lot to be had. Once I get it tuned, proper tires, and better pads/rotors.......I'll see what she's got. But that will be a little while.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been ~150 mph in a Focus, less aerodynamic, crappy brakes, and.....well, I guess the suspension settled really well at that speed. Regardless of what vehicle, it's a bit scary. Biggest downfall was brakes. Fried them a few times. I don't condone going crazy speeds like that. There is a time and place. Only later at night when there's little traffic, and only on highways and knowing the road. And with proper tires. My only fears traveling 120+ mph are deer, and a tire going. I have grown up on dirtbikes going very fast on single track trails (very tight, bars just pass trees at times), very fast snowmobiles, sand rails, street bikes, (supposedly my cousin hit 190's on his R1, I only took it to ~160, too scary on a bike, not my thing), and various modified autos (my whole family is speed freaks). So, I feel comfortable and highly attentive at speeds. Again, not saying it right for any/everyone to do.

Now according to articles, this car has a phenomenal c/d (is very aerodynamic), to me when I'm close to the limiter it is very stable, and I tend to hit the limiter very fast. So there's a lot to be had. Once I get it tuned, proper tires, and better pads/rotors.......I'll see what she's got. But that will be a little while.
I can't believe you got a Ford Focus up to 150 mph. Aren't they a V4 engine? Was it a turbo? It just seems to be a very high speed for a car of that class. Did it even have tires on it rated for that speed?

Reactions: gokart2

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
I can't believe you got a Ford Focus up to 150 mph. Aren't they a V4 engine? Was it a turbo? It just seems to be a very high speed for a car of that class. Did it even have tires on it rated for that speed?
Just a guess that is was a Focus ST with the 2.0 inline 4cyl turbo. Most of them came with "Z" rated summer tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a guess that is was a Focus ST with the 2.0 inline 4cyl turbo. Most of them came with "Z" rated summer tires.
Yeah or maybe even the RS which I just looked up and has 350 HP. That is allot of power for a small car. My previous car was a Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged. It had a 2.0L supercharged engine that put out 240HP. It actually felt allot more nimble and quicker than the 200S because it was a small car and very light. But at very highs speeds such as 110+ MPH I always felt a little uneasy as the car seemed a little unsteady. At the top speed I have hit with the 200S I felt the car was very smooth and solid on the road. The thing that hurts the 200S is the car's weight. At approx 3,800 lbs it is very heavy for a car in that range, and you can feel it as it does tend to feel a little weighty until you really give it some gas. But with that extra weight and awd is it awesome in the snow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Was an 06 ST. Non- turbo 2.3L inline 4. Tuned (89 oct lol), balance shaft delete, Cosworth CAI, Cosworth header, Borla from the header back, energy bushing'ed dogbone mount, and a bored out throttle body by myself. Very underated car. That engine is used in.... can't remember, an open wheeled Formula Mazda iirc. And Caterham uses it in some of their S7 (?, Buzzed, sorry) badass builds. Ran 7300 rpm redline, but if I had springs they can hit ~8200 rpm. The cylinder head out flowed the 2nd gen Ford GT heads. Again, unknown and very underated. Majority of the time it had 135+ mph tires. But, like an idiot.....I would run anything with any tire. I walked turbo ST's, one dude had a Cobb sticker. I walked a Sabb... whatever the Sabb wrx thing and he logged onto the Focus forum to find me and give props. Seriously the best car I'll ever have. Has 365k, still runs like a raped ape, but is starting to get tired. I hope and pray the 200 is half the car it was. Went upside-down in that sucker when an old lady (96 years old on the police report) pulled out at the last second and I swerved to keep her alive. ~ $1800 damage, was in the snow so it saved everything. Moonroof didn't even move. Sorry to keep going on, she means a lot to me. Oh, wanna say it was like 2700 lbs. Super light and geared perfectly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok makes sense now, the car did have some mods. Out of the lot I don't think it could hit 150. However I have heard that the Focus is a really good car. I have always liked ford too, back in the day I had a Mustang LX 5.0L That was allot of fun, but not in the winter. The Chrysler 200 is a nice car with the V6 engine. I have had mine for almost a year now. But keep in mind that it is a whole different type of car than the focus you have. It is geared as a sporty Powerful mid sized sedan which is supposed to blend power, comfort and elegance into a package. Also as I mentioned earlier the weight of the car also plays a bit of a factor. My only real complaint with the 200S I have is the back seat. For a car of it's size it is really cramped. The front however is really nice and comfortable, and I am 6-1 300 lbs. Overall I like the car, just wish that backseat was a little more roomy. But that is all redundant now as the car is no more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok makes sense now, the car did have some mods. Out of the lot I don't think it could hit 150. However I have heard that the Focus is a really good car. I have always liked ford too, back in the day I had a Mustang LX 5.0L That was allot of fun, but not in the winter. The Chrysler 200 is a nice car with the V6 engine. I have had mine for almost a year now. But keep in mind that it is a whole different type of car than the focus you have. It is geared as a sporty Powerful mid sized sedan which is supposed to blend power, comfort and elegance into a package. Also as I mentioned earlier the weight of the car also plays a bit of a factor. My only real complaint with the 200S I have is the back seat. For a car of it's size it is really cramped. The front however is really nice and comfortable, and I am 6-1 300 lbs. Overall I like the car, just wish that backseat was a little more roomy. But that is all redundant now as the car is no more.
No more? You get another ride? Hopefully it wasn't an accident.

For me it was between this and a 2016 Impala LTZ. I loved the Impala. But the price with mileage was still a bit high. I found my car, 2016 with ~4k miles for $19k out the door. Couldn't pass it up, too good of a deal. Plus the highway milage is great. Avg about 30… but have had it up to 32. Doubt the Impala would have been able to get that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No more? You get another ride? Hopefully it wasn't an accident.

For me it was between this and a 2016 Impala LTZ. I loved the Impala. But the price with mileage was still a bit high. I found my car, 2016 with ~4k miles for $19k out the door. Couldn't pass it up, too good of a deal. Plus the highway milage is great. Avg about 30… but have had it up to 32. Doubt the Impala would have been able to get that.
lol, no what I meant about no more was that the 200S was discontinued so any suggestions on improvements is useless. The Impala is nice, but I think the 200S V6 preforms better in the power aspect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The mph/kph is limited by the speed rating of the tires for safety reasons, yours and the others on the road with you. Yes, the limit can be modified but I will not enable you to endanger others on public roads by telling how .
Speed Rating Maximum Speed
B Up to 31 mph
C Up to 37 mph
D Up to 40 mph
E Up to 43 mph
F Up to 50 mph
G Up to 56 mph
J Up to 62 mph
K Up to 68 mph
L Up to 75 mph
M Up to 81 mph
N Up to 87 mph