Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the gear changes are smooth, even at full throttle, but going from 2 to 3 always kicks, the more throttle I give it the harder it kicks. Is it on its way out or should I get a fluid change done? Would a TCM update help, how much do you think that would cost?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Five-year power train warranty. Take it to the dealer. They can perform any available software updates and further diagnosis if necessary. Even if they can't "duplicate" the problem, at least you'll be on record reporting an issue under the warranty period should you have worse transmission problems later. Fluid change seems a doubtful solution unless you have a whole lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Believe it's normal. I used to get a hard 1-2 shift when it was cold. Smoked a deer, the body shop sent it to the dealer for something. 99% sure they updated the software during that time because I now get a kick downshifting into second that was never there. Keep in mind I have a solid dog bone mount so I feel it more.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Software update is needed. It's a TSB. Forgot what one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
344 Posts
Software update is needed. It's a TSB. Forgot what one.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/dashboard/details.html

I registered as an owner and it doesn't show any unresolved TSB's. I'll stop by the dealer, and I hope they won't charge me for diagnostic, trans runs ok, except for that 2-3.
I bought mine used and the verry first thing when buying is having the inspectio and brought my car to chrysler dealership while within warranties to go over everything even the research of the car and trans was part of the research results even if your cars history may not show it try and get that programming done for reassurance measures i have and only thing ive gotten faulty with my car (knock on wood) was the thermostat housing blew its gasket.

·
Super Moderator
2,208 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
That 2-3 hard shift is somewhat "normal" for the early builds and was fixed for some but not for all by a few TSBs. Your transmission is not about to give up and it doesn't need an oïl change. At most, it needs an update and re learn, that may help but as I said, some were 100% fixed, others were not.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made an appointment for February 14, told them to check it out and see if it needs a software update, illI report back then.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the dealer today, they checked for software updates, only the PCM needed an update, they did it at no charge, so the trans is still the same, but it's not that bad anyway, so I'll leave it as it is, will get a trans fluid change done at 30k (has 26k now). Might just be how the trans is, every car review I've read says it's not the smoothest transmission made, so I'll live with it.

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Registered
59 Posts
there is 6 different tsb's for trans flashes. dealer will flash that and pcm at the same time. 2-3 harsh shifts is one of the concerns fixed by the new software update. we used to do all flashes when a car came in for any warranty at all, but chrysler took that away from us. so now unless you complain about an issue, we cant update the module, unless i dont want to get paid for it!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They checked for TCM updates, they said it was up to date, and since it was under powertrain warranty, they did the PCM update for free, which showed it was no up to date with TCM. I even told them when I brought it in that I willing to pay for software updates.

I'm gonna drive it around today and see if it helped, I'lll post a pic of work done soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have rough shifts from 2 to 3 and 4 to 5. I have scheduled a a dealer visit for next week to check for this issue. I will update on the progress.
Regards

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
This is not an issue and is well documented on the forum. This is just how the transmission reacts. the 2nd to 3rd shift is a problem with the software that FCA managed to improve but never quite fixed. acura did fixed it though. The 4-5 hard shift when the transmission is cold is normal as this is where the dog clutch is.

Do not change your transmission oïl unless you have money to throw out the door. The oil is good for 90K.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
The oil is good for 90K.
Is that the general consensus - good idea to replace it at 90K miles? I think the manual states the fluid "lifetime", although I don't always buy into "lifetime"... things do wear out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what they did, it helped a little, feels smoother, but 2-3 is still more rough than other gear changes, no big deal I guess, gotta live with it.

Text Font

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also have rough shifts from 2 to 3 and 4 to 5. I have scheduled a a dealer visit for next week to check for this issue. I will update on the progress.
Regards

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Make sure you tell them to check for software updates first, or they'll ask you to keep the car for 2-3 days to send it to the transmission shop for a full diagnostic.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts