Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine needed to be coded when i purchased but it didn't specify in my cars report.

Used to kick hard in 2-3rd and 7-8th gears, after update it was timed closer and time to shift decreased and allot less of a jump.

Those two gear changes are the dog clutches, timed to shift is a bit more intricate.

Be sure to update.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The oil is good for 90K.
Is that the general consensus - good idea to replace it at 90K miles? I think the manual states the fluid "lifetime", although I don't always buy into "lifetime"... things do wear out.
Bahahahaah, i live by the rule of thumb: "fluids" keep ontop of all of your fluids they're going to treat your car well.

I don't do it every 3k mi. Or 3mo. But i dont get it less than 50% in my cars DID

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update on that 2-3, I got on the freeway a few times while flooring it and it disconnects for one second going from 2 to 3, as if fuel was shut off, then it kicks like a mule and goes again once in third gear.
I bet Chrysler is losing a ton of sales with that crappy 9 speed trans, I read a review on the updated cheerokee, new turbo 4 seems great but they still complain about the transmission, after all those years, seriously!

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Update on that 2-3, I got on the freeway a few times while flooring it and it disconnects for one second going from 2 to 3, as if fuel was shut off, then it kicks like a mule and goes again once in third gear.
I bet Chrysler is losing a ton of sales with that crappy 9 speed trans, I read a review on the updated cheerokee, new turbo 4 seems great but they still complain about the transmission, after all those years, seriously!
I would take i back in. Mine doesn't do that, it doesn't sound normal. It's slightly harsh but no "bucking like a mule".

Chrysler isn't selling the 200 anymore so no lost sales - well the lost potential sales.

That ZF 9-speed isn't unique to Chrysler or made by Chrysler. I wonder how it's doing in the Acura TLX?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would take i back in. Mine doesn't do that, it doesn't sound normal. It's slightly harsh but no "bucking like a mule".

Chrysler isn't selling the 200 anymore so no lost sales - well the lost potential sales.

That ZF 9-speed isn't unique to Chrysler or made by Chrysler. I wonder how it's doing in the Acura TLX?
I would like to, but two dealers told me they would have to keep the car for 7-10 days (no loaner) for a full diagnostic, well I have to go to work in the meantime, no loaner means spending a fortune on a rental, so F it.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts

It is a totally different setup im my TLX. There are no hard shifts at all for the ZF9 with the Acura setup. I've been driving my TLX for 2 weeks now and it is one of the many big différences between the 2 cars. Although my 200's tranny was never an issue to me, it had rough shifts between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes between 4th and 5th when cold. This is a non factor on the 2018 TLX. So FCA never managed to figure it out.

Here's my TLX by the way.

Attachments

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I said Cherokee.
I said 200.

And?

If you like your ZF9 so much, why don't you marry it, lol!

and... I liked the ZF9 in the 200 so much, I bought one. I researched it before i bought it. I knew since it was a first year of a new generation car, there might be bugs with it - like any other car maker out there with a first year of a new generation. I also had 2 other 200's before I bought it.

Marriage to a car? Kind of odd don't you think?

Sorry you are having problems, you should keep trying until you get yours fixed, or just keep complaining about it if that's what you like. Most of the issues are with the transmissions are with the 4cyl since they are not the same as the ones with the V6.

It is a totally different setup im my TLX. There are no hard shifts at all for the ZF9 with the Acura setup. I've been driving my TLX for 2 weeks now and it is one of the many big différences between the 2 cars. Although my 200's tranny was never an issue to me, it had rough shifts between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes between 4th and 5th when cold. This is a non factor on the 2018 TLX. So FCA never managed to figure it out.

I knew that would get you to post it!! :D Nice ride!! Congrats!! Good choice. I'm not going to get an SUV either when I trade mine.

I think the fault lies with both ZF and FCA as far as the 200 transmission... still, like you, I have never had any issues with my transmission in my 200.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Exactly what i'm experiencing with my 200. When cold there are rough (not hard) shifts between 2-3 and sometimes 4-5. Also downshifting 3-2 or 2-1 are noticeable. only when cold.

btw, nice TLX. I like Acuras, but having to fuel with 91 octane @ 1.60$/L is a no go for me.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Exactly what i'm experiencing with my 200. When cold there are rough (not hard) shifts between 2-3 and sometimes 4-5. Also downshifting 3-2 or 2-1 are noticeable. only when cold.
That's everyone having that issue including me but I am so used to it, I don't notice it anymore - at this point it's how FCA chose to program it. ZF and FCA need to work it out, more so FCA cause it's their rep that's at stake.

If it were "bucking like a mule" then there's a problem!

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's everyone having that issue including me but I am so used to it, I don't notice it anymore - at this point it's how FCA chose to program it. ZF and FCA need to work it out, more so FCA cause it's their rep that's at stake.

If it were "bucking like a mule" then there's a problem!
I know, i'm used to it too. But i do feel it when i'm focusing on that :)

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts

btw, nice TLX. I like Acuras, but having to fuel with 91 octane @ 1.60$/L is a no go for me.
Yeah the increase in fuel pricing started the day I bought the TLX so that sure wasn't planned but I'll have to deal with it now. I will probably throw some 89 in there from time to time...shouldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My car is 4 y/o and has 30,000 miles, I'll get a trans fluid flush soon, I know, waste of money, but that's my last resort until I have real time off where I can leave the car at the dealership for a week or two.

Btw: Ford went 10 speed and it runs good, others went 8 speed and they run good, of course 9 had to be messed up, sucks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 2015 200C V6. I am now on my third transmission. The only issue is that it has now developed a very hard 4-5 shift about 10% of the time. It is so hard it feels as if the car has been hit from behind. The other 90% it is smooth as silk. As usual, the dealer can't reproduce the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Yeah the increase in fuel pricing started the day I bought the TLX so that sure wasn't planned but I'll have to deal with it now. I will probably throw some 89 in there from time to time...shouldn't be that bad.
At least it's not a 7 passenger SUV or crossover everyone thinks they need to commute in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Is everyone on vacation or what? Nobody's around anymore.

Anyways, I went to the dealer for a transmission fluid flush, they took the car and all, an hour later they came back to me thinking they were done, just to tell me they couldn't do it because it was a sealed unit and required special fluid that was not ATF-4, which is what is in their flush machine.

Morons couldn't even do a drain/refill, and it's not sealed if it has a drain and fill plugs, which I know it does, and their "special" fluid is just ATF 8-9 speed fluid, which they should have anyway.

I'll do it myself, I already bought the dipstick on Amazon, 7 qts of fluid at RockAuto.com, and there's a YouTube video on how to get to the refill plug where I'll use a fluid transfer pump.

I can't imagine how messed up those "sealed" transmissions will be a decade down the road, considering the fluid will never be changed, since not even the dealership wants to service them.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts