Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Transmission kicks 2-3.

28K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  200_S_AWD 
#1 ·
All the gear changes are smooth, even at full throttle, but going from 2 to 3 always kicks, the more throttle I give it the harder it kicks. Is it on its way out or should I get a fluid change done? Would a TCM update help, how much do you think that would cost?

#51 ·
All I can say is this. Glad I purchased the "Lifetime" service contract from FCA. If the transmission takes a dump at some point in the future I'll know all they will do is throw in another replacement unit. ( over 73K at this time and she runs like a charm )
I am used to the transmission's characteristics and know when warm the shifts improve greatly.
If the service manual doesn't state when a maintenance item is needed, then it doesn't get it.
As for the fuel line, or fuel injection service. I use a can of Techron fuel system cleaner every now and then. Never had an issue.

Not shopping for a replacement car to this one until it dies.

#54 ·
I finally did a drain/refill of the transmission fluid, PITA to get to, took exactly 4 qts, fluid that came out was surprisingly clean, so you guys don't need to worry about it.
Only drove for 10 minutes, so I can't really tell if it smoothed it out much, I'll report back in a week.
My car is 4 y/o with 30k.

Fyi, dipstick was not really necessary, I used it anyway to check before and after just to make sure level was the same, but you can just put back in the amount you took out, makes it simple.

One thing I noticed is that the lug bolts are crap, they're 2 piece, and two of them almost fell apart at the head, so I'm gonna buy Gorilla one piece bolts.

#55 ·
Mine does the really hard shift but it's the dog clutch I think. If I let cruise control do it it'll shift up, then down, then up again (really hard) as you can tell it's having trouble with how slow the dog clutch shifts. I think it's just the nature of the transmission (and why it's not used on anything now).

#57 · (Edited)
Transmission

I bought a used 2015 200S with 24K on it from CarMax..drove it 500 miles and loved it..no real shifting issues that I noticed...and then..In the parking garage one night, it just would not shift from Park to Reverse. The dash lights up like a Christmas tree "service transmission", "service parking brake" "Performance shifting not operational".....something like that., Check engine light is on. I shut the car off for two minutes, restart and all is well. I drive it another two days with no problems and then in my garage same thing happens again. I check the code with my scanner, P0810..a clutch thing? What?..or TCM..

I drive to the local dealer, as it is still under warranty. That afternoon, I get the call, they are replacing the entire transmission under warranty. I literally drove the car a week and a half and it's at the dealer for a tranny. It has had all the recalls completed, so I *thought* the transmission problems were taken care of.

Luckily, I had no issues while driving.. no sudden switching to Neutral, stalling.. any of that, so the recall might have corrected that problem.

I have had good luck with other Chrysler vehicles, a Grand Cherokee, and a Challenger. But I think I might be buying the extended warranty on this one..:confused:

#59 ·
JEEZ... Good thing you have that warranty. Glad I have also. I guess a 2-3 funky shift is a sure sign of a trans prob where as the 4-5 is more of a quirk than a fatal prob. Good luck.

#60 ·
Very common issue, just had them update mine about a month ago. Make sure they're updating per Technical Service Bulletin: 21-001-18 rev. C. One thing I love about it is it will sit and wait for you in 3rd gear when downshifting before kicking you into too low of a gear when you don't need the torque output - allows the TCM time to make a better "decision". Hopefully not mechanical damage has taken place yet.

#64 ·
Greetings, I recently got my Car returned from the dealer after changing the engine and after a week It started telling me that the Throttle sensor is not active and performance shifting error. Also, whenever I start driving it jumps between 1st gear to 7th or 8th gear within the first 25 mph with a heavy jerk. It is clear that the dealer missed something, and they charged me nearly $3,000.00 to do a maintenance check and service.

#65 ·
Welcome to the forum. It sounds electrical. Possibly related to the engine change?
If you are getting warnings on the dash, fault codes are usually stored that will help isolate the problem.
I would return the car to the shop. Let us know what is found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.