Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Transmission kicks 2-3.

28K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  200_S_AWD 
#1 ·
All the gear changes are smooth, even at full throttle, but going from 2 to 3 always kicks, the more throttle I give it the harder it kicks. Is it on its way out or should I get a fluid change done? Would a TCM update help, how much do you think that would cost?

#2 ·
Five-year power train warranty. Take it to the dealer. They can perform any available software updates and further diagnosis if necessary. Even if they can't "duplicate" the problem, at least you'll be on record reporting an issue under the warranty period should you have worse transmission problems later. Fluid change seems a doubtful solution unless you have a whole lot of miles on it.

#4 ·
Believe it's normal. I used to get a hard 1-2 shift when it was cold. Smoked a deer, the body shop sent it to the dealer for something. 99% sure they updated the software during that time because I now get a kick downshifting into second that was never there. Keep in mind I have a solid dog bone mount so I feel it more.

#5 ·
Software update is needed. It's a TSB. Forgot what one.

#9 ·
That 2-3 hard shift is somewhat "normal" for the early builds and was fixed for some but not for all by a few TSBs. Your transmission is not about to give up and it doesn't need an oïl change. At most, it needs an update and re learn, that may help but as I said, some were 100% fixed, others were not.

#13 ·
Went to the dealer today, they checked for software updates, only the PCM needed an update, they did it at no charge, so the trans is still the same, but it's not that bad anyway, so I'll leave it as it is, will get a trans fluid change done at 30k (has 26k now). Might just be how the trans is, every car review I've read says it's not the smoothest transmission made, so I'll live with it.

Reactions: Black Knight
#14 ·
there is 6 different tsb's for trans flashes. dealer will flash that and pcm at the same time. 2-3 harsh shifts is one of the concerns fixed by the new software update. we used to do all flashes when a car came in for any warranty at all, but chrysler took that away from us. so now unless you complain about an issue, we cant update the module, unless i dont want to get paid for it!

#15 ·
They checked for TCM updates, they said it was up to date, and since it was under powertrain warranty, they did the PCM update for free, which showed it was no up to date with TCM. I even told them when I brought it in that I willing to pay for software updates.

I'm gonna drive it around today and see if it helped, I'lll post a pic of work done soon.

#20 ·
Make sure you tell them to check for software updates first, or they'll ask you to keep the car for 2-3 days to send it to the transmission shop for a full diagnostic.

#17 ·
This is not an issue and is well documented on the forum. This is just how the transmission reacts. the 2nd to 3rd shift is a problem with the software that FCA managed to improve but never quite fixed. acura did fixed it though. The 4-5 hard shift when the transmission is cold is normal as this is where the dog clutch is.

Do not change your transmission oïl unless you have money to throw out the door. The oil is good for 90K.

#18 ·
The oil is good for 90K.
Is that the general consensus - good idea to replace it at 90K miles? I think the manual states the fluid "lifetime", although I don't always buy into "lifetime"... things do wear out.

#19 ·
This is what they did, it helped a little, feels smoother, but 2-3 is still more rough than other gear changes, no big deal I guess, gotta live with it.

Text Font

#21 ·
Mine needed to be coded when i purchased but it didn't specify in my cars report.

Used to kick hard in 2-3rd and 7-8th gears, after update it was timed closer and time to shift decreased and allot less of a jump.

Those two gear changes are the dog clutches, timed to shift is a bit more intricate.

Be sure to update.

#23 ·
Update on that 2-3, I got on the freeway a few times while flooring it and it disconnects for one second going from 2 to 3, as if fuel was shut off, then it kicks like a mule and goes again once in third gear.
I bet Chrysler is losing a ton of sales with that crappy 9 speed trans, I read a review on the updated cheerokee, new turbo 4 seems great but they still complain about the transmission, after all those years, seriously!

#24 ·
I would take i back in. Mine doesn't do that, it doesn't sound normal. It's slightly harsh but no "bucking like a mule".

Chrysler isn't selling the 200 anymore so no lost sales - well the lost potential sales.

That ZF 9-speed isn't unique to Chrysler or made by Chrysler. I wonder how it's doing in the Acura TLX?

#27 ·
#36 ·
My car is 4 y/o and has 30,000 miles, I'll get a trans fluid flush soon, I know, waste of money, but that's my last resort until I have real time off where I can leave the car at the dealership for a week or two.

Btw: Ford went 10 speed and it runs good, others went 8 speed and they run good, of course 9 had to be messed up, sucks.

#37 ·
I have a 2015 200C V6. I am now on my third transmission. The only issue is that it has now developed a very hard 4-5 shift about 10% of the time. It is so hard it feels as if the car has been hit from behind. The other 90% it is smooth as silk. As usual, the dealer can't reproduce the problem.

#50 ·
That was your dealer only. Doesn't mean other dealers won't do it.
This is my dealership, best one here, I had 2005 Dodge Magnum before and they never gave me hassle for anything compared to the other ones, I tried two other dealers here for the 200 and they won't touch it, my 2-3 shift issue would require me to leave the car for 7-10 days. At least this dealership I use all the time did the software update for free in two hours.

#40 ·
Is everyone on vacation or what? Nobody's around anymore.

Anyways, I went to the dealer for a transmission fluid flush, they took the car and all, an hour later they came back to me thinking they were done, just to tell me they couldn't do it because it was a sealed unit and required special fluid that was not ATF-4, which is what is in their flush machine.

Morons couldn't even do a drain/refill, and it's not sealed if it has a drain and fill plugs, which I know it does, and their "special" fluid is just ATF 8-9 speed fluid, which they should have anyway.

I'll do it myself, I already bought the dipstick on Amazon, 7 qts of fluid at RockAuto.com, and there's a YouTube video on how to get to the refill plug where I'll use a fluid transfer pump.

I can't imagine how messed up those "sealed" transmissions will be a decade down the road, considering the fluid will never be changed, since not even the dealership wants to service them.

#41 ·
Hard to believe yours was the first KF (Cherokee) or UF (200) transmission fluid service request that dealer had ever had to deal with! Which is sure what it sounds like!!

You'd think they'd be jumping up and down to do this service and charge big $$ due to the extra effort and special tool required to check the level. But apparently if they couldn't do the job with the magic flush machine the way it was already configured, it was just too much trouble for these guys. My guess is that they didn't have a tech certified to work on the transmission.

Too many stories about poor dealer service departments here. Glad that at least my dealer's service department has been generally competent and professional.

Please let us know how the DIY job goes.

#44 · (Edited)
I bought this car because of the sealed trany unit. I got tired of having to change fluid at $250 every 30k miles on prior cars.

I did laugh though at my dealer for trying to up sell me on changing the fluid. They tried and tried to convince me that this needs changing at 60k. Wish they didn't confuse my 200 with the Dart. That car does require changing.

Their current up sell is for me to pay $250 for fuel line system cleaning. Wow, this time they got some what aggressive about it.

I'm going to check later, but I believe the owners manual even states not to change fluid. I've even checked with Chrysler themselves on this. Their answer:

Thank you for contacting the FCA Customer Assistance Center. We can
certainly understand why this information is important to you, and are
pleased to provide vehicle maintenance information as per your request.

The transmission in your vehicle is in-fact a sealed unit. Under normal
operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide
satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.

Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the
fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.),
or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

I hope this information will be of assistance, and thank you again for
your email. Should you require additional assistance, or have any new
information to provide, please reply to this email message or call
1-800-247-9753.

Sincerely,

Alex

Customer Service Representative
FCA Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:

#45 ·
If I still have the car in another 20K miles (I have 78K miles now :eek:), I will have the fluid exchanged or changed, whatever is recommended, until that point I am not going to bother. Preventative maintenance is good, but car hypochondria isn't a good thing for the wallet or peace of mind.

#47 ·
Stop saying it's sealed, it's not sealed if has drain and fill plugs.
Nothing wrong with changing transmission fluid every 3 year either, that fluid is not magically designed to stay clean forever either, so I don't care what the manual says.

Even if it's good for 100k, then what? Good for the trash?, since it's "sealed" there should be no way to replace the fluid, right? This whole trans is stupid.

#48 ·
Anothere "sealed" trans I deal with is my wife's Kia, literally impossible to DIY (God knows I tried), I went to the dealer at 50k and they flushed it for $125, great deal and they didn't B.S me with that "sealed" crap, they did it, without drama, and they didn't act like it was the end of the world to change the fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.