Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what is considered a normal transmission temperature operating range for a 2015 Chrysler 200c w/v6 engine? For the longest time it seemed like my transmission temperature would run between 145-154F, which is about midway along the gauge. As of lately I've been running 154-165F on average peaking at 192F. The 192F reading happened today, hence the reason for this post because it seemed way outside of the norm for this time of year in California. The outdoor temperatures were in the mid 60s, which by no means is a hot day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a transmission temperature gauge in these cars?
I'm aware of that, what I'm looking for are those that can share their transmission temperature operating range so that I can try and gauge if my transmission is operating within a normal range or if mine is running too hot.

·
Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
Yes in the 15+ 200 - coolant temp, trans temp, oil life to name a few measurements - in the driver information center.

I could swear there was a trans temp on the first gen as well, have to play with the driver information center. I very well could be wrong about the first gen, I haven't had my 13' in 2 years now.

larry_thagr81 I think blincoln was asking a question.

I will check mine today and let you know - it's almost always in the middle unless I am rushing around and getting on it etc.., I forget what that actual temp is. My trans has had no issues and has over 95,000 miles on it, so I would say whatever mine is at is within normal range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies, I read your question as a statement. Yes they're is a transmission gauge readout for 2015 models and newer. I'm not sure for models prior to 2015.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
Today was about 45F on the way home (unseasonably cold here today). My trans temp peaked at 176 on my 38 mile commute, early on it stayed around 137-155, after a few passes on the highway it stayed around 176.

Come to think of it in the middle of summer I think I have seen it as high as 200 - I will have to wait till it warms up in the next few days and post back. Hope that helps.

I would say if it isn't doing anything wrong, I wouldn't really worry about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today was about 45F on the way home (unseasonably cold here today). My trans temp peaked at 176 on my 38 mile commute, early on it stayed around 137-155, after a few passes on the highway it stayed around 176.

Come to think of it in the middle of summer I think I have seen it as high as 200 - I will have to wait till it warms up in the next few days and post back. Hope that helps.

I would say if it isn't doing anything wrong, I wouldn't really worry about it.
I appreciate the feedback, my trans temp peaked at 176F on my second trip I took today for an 8 mile stretch.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems like normal operating temperature for these transmissions is 165-170. That's generally what mine gets to and stays at when operating for about a 30 minute drive in nearly all temperatures. A few weeks ago we had taken an hour drive and got stuck in traffic. As we stopped and crept along, the temperature started creeping up peaking at 192. From a durability standpoint, transmissions typically hate heat. I think the fluid in these transmissions is way more advanced than what I'm used to in previous cars and I'm confident it can handle the heat. That being said, mine operates a lot smoother once it warms up. My buddy has a Ram with the 8 speed and it's operating temperature is around 192 for comparison.

·
Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
A little highway and then heavy stop and go yesterday for over an hour and the outside temp was in the mid 80's my trans temp was at 190 degrees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
transmission 230 degrees is on the upper threshold of normal operating temperature for the 2.4-liter Chrysler 200 engine. In most cases, the radiator fan will kick on around 200 and can increase temperature to about 230, but this is again on the upper limit of "normal"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
transmission 230 degrees is on the upper threshold of normal operating temperature for the 2.4-liter Chrysler 200 engine. In most cases, the radiator fan will kick on around 200 and can increase temperature to about 230, but this is again on the upper limit of "normal"
Wow, the 2.4L transmission temperatures are much different from the 3.6L. My transmission temperature seems to average between 159F and 176F. The highest transmission temperature I've seen to date for my car is 192F and that's only happened once. My coolant temperature ranges from 210F up to 234F on a really hot day, but seems to average between 213F and 221F.

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
This was a cut and paste from an internet site ... and does NOT actually tell the whole story.
The engine operating temp is outlined in the story ... and it goes on to say "The transmission gauge highest temp reached 174 degrees".
Read the article here: https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/what-are-the-normal-operating-temp-ranges-for-the-2015-chrysler-200-2-4-engine-and-transmission-by-mr-t

·
Registered
6 Posts
in my BMW days with the ZF 5hp24 212 degrees gave me a rough 2-1 downshift.. Made me install a cooler. Just from what i heard and read I feel comfortable and happy when my trans reads 160-180 in the chrysler

·
Registered
26 Posts
Huge traffic. 1 meter distance over a minute, 88C was my highest, which is at 190F, it only happens twice.

73-77C On the high way on average , which is 163F - 170F

Ideal Transmission temps is less than 175F

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
Believerguy
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing