Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2016 Chrysler 200 S 3.6 FWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 200 S FWD 3.6L with about 63,000 miles and in recent months driving to work I have had hard shifting between 4 & 5. I have tried to replicate it but it seems to happen infrequently. The only scenario that it seems to commonly occur on is when I am in 4th and let my foot off the gas to coast to a stop light and it upshifts to 5th hard. I am going between 25-30 mph. It has been cold but it happens when the transmission is cold and up to temp. It has been happening here and there for the past few months and I am starting to get worried.

I have not seen any posts directly address an issue like this, usually other gears. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,280 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Mine did exactly the same thing. I was cresting a moderately steep hill with 4 people in the car in 4th gear. When it shifted into 5th, BAM. I had to look in my rear view mirror because it felt like I got rear-ended.
The 2016 is more refined than the 2015. Chrysler bought the license to the 9HP48 to build in Indiana. They were finally allowed to do 'much needed' modifications to both both the hardware & software.

Sky Font Darkness Event Circle

This is an important transaxle for Chrysler. It can be either FWD or AWD. It can be used on the hybrids (Pacifica). It has that fine German engineering, not the way we would do it, very expensive to manufacture, but probably the simplest it can be.

First, make sure that the TCM software level is at the latest & greatest version.
Font Number Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

Then perform a Quicklearn:
Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

Then have them do a PROXI reset (toggle off/on):
Font Sky Darkness Circle Event

• Helpful
Reactions: Dorius

· Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2016 2.4 l with the recent recall software updates and I'm still experiencing kind of a hard shift up shifting from 4th to 5th gear under light acceleration around 30 mph every once in awhile.
Note; when I got the software update they were not able to replace the catalytic converter because new catalysts were not available at the time and I'm scheduled to go back to have the catalytic converter replaced when they are in stock.

It makes me wonder if the catalytic converter is somehow making a difference in the shift quality of the transmission?
I know that might sound ridiculous, but you never know.

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,280 Posts
AFAIK, the cat recall was strictly for emission reasons. There have been software releases before to try and get the cat to run cooler (changed idle spark advance). I think that they finally decided the fix was a new cat with another software update.
Font Brand Art Event Graphics

A TCM software update may not be complete without the Quicklearn & PROXI steps taken. Mine now shifts as smooth as butter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts