Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am maybe going to buy a 2012 200 from a used car BHPH dealership. The guy got mad at me when I called him over to "feel" the vibration when putting in reverse, from park. He told me ... "You bring mechanic! I sell car, I no want to anymore see car!" as he was walking away. Nice guy other than that little slip.

I was trying to be nice and just ask what he thought it might be. It has 152,000 on it and the engine is clean enough to eat off of. The engine oil I checked was full, but like a goldish black coffee if that makes since, just worn out oil I think. I didn't check the trans oil, as I didn't know where the dipstick was located.

Could it be something minor, or should I pass on this? It drove nicely, and shifted nicely except for a little bit of a "clank' when letting off gas quickly.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a capped dipstick tube, but no dipstick. ATF+4 level is dependent on fluid temperature.
If the underside of the transaxle is dry, it shouldn't be losing fluid. 4 or 6 speed?

Buying a used car with an unknown past maintenance history, I would want to change the engine oil, transaxle fluid & coolant for peace of mind.
Be sure to use the Chrysler approved fluids. Did the car come with the owners manual?

The vibration is in Reverse and not Drive? It could be a motor mount out of adjustment (causing the engine to tip into a body component and transmitting the noise) or the rubber mounts starting to soften/wear? The engine tips rearward in Drive and forward in Reverse.

If you have a mechanic, have the car raised on a lift and checked over front to back. Degreasing & doll-up can make a car look brand new, but it is still a 10 year old car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 4cyl. Somehow I don't think it's the motor mounts. Had that problem on my '94 Ford Ranger, so I know what that "feels" like. I have a friend who has a '08 Honda CRV that had the same vibration feel, but it happened at 45 mph. He put a little bottle of "Instant Shudder Fix" and it worked. Maybe that would help my situation. I don't know if that's a permanent fix or not. Again, it could be low on transmission fluid. The car dealer owner gets a little offended me checking things out, in a nice way, but still offended. So, not sure if I can check the fluid level, plus its not that easy and quick to do, according to the video. I wonder if transmissions are a common problem on the 200? I just don't know whether to buy it or not.
Decisions ... decisions...

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
OK, I'm glad that you haven't purchased the car yet until this can be checked out. Hopefully it is something minor?
I would not add any 'instant shudder fix' or any other 'Hail Mary Miracle' additives. If the car can't operate properly on the ATF+4 that Chrysler uses, you are just masking a problem, maybe temporarily.
Does this used car dealer have an on-premises shop or does he just sell them? Is there anyone more helpful there with service questions?

Generally the 62TE is a good transaxle, but after 152K miles & 10 years of an unknown past, I would want any 'potentially expensive' concerns addressed to my satisfaction. You are laying out money & deserve an answer.

Is this guy just having a bad day or is he dismissive of all his customers? Would he be willing to have a technician assess this vibration before you make a purchase decision without being offended?
If you can't get a satisfactory answer to your concern, I would walk away from this business & look at other choices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts