Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 200 V6. I started having issues with my cars shifting. Since it's frowned upon pulling the pan and changing the filter because of its high mileage I drained the old fluid from the port that looks like a dipstick port. I pulled out 6 quarts of old fluid and put in the same of new. I went thru my gears numerous times like I had read and the videos I watched before driving it. It drove great and shifted smoothly for about 45 min. On the way home after stopping at a stop sign it will not shift out of first and the rpms rev up. What do I do? Plz help

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
699 Posts
Not changing fluid and filter because of high mileage is a myth.
Be sure to use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are the first and only person I know or have talked to that has said that so you understand my hesitation with what you have said.

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
You are the first and only person I know or have talked to that has said that so you understand my hesitation with what you have said.
It is a myth.
However, a transmission that has seen hard use, towing or dirty conditions, may already be in poor condition internally. A fluid / filter change isn't going to correct those issues.

Your problem may not be from the fluid change. You stated it already was experiencing shift issues. The problem has already manifested itself before you changed the fluid.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As said above, sounds like the damage was already done. Changing ATF fluid is to be done BEFORE problems arise. (like oil changes) IF the fluid was really bad ( dis-colored, sludgy ) you should leave it alone. The sludge from worn out clutch packs etc, is whats keeping the gears holding but eventually will clog up the valve body and start having probs like yours. Now you drain and add clean fluid, the sludge that was keeping it going is gone and now your at where your at. Unfortunatly, sounds like you need a rebuild or a used one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Power flushing the transmission is what's bad for it This could free up gunk that is trapped in nooks and crannies and not bothering anything allowing that to clog passages and wreak more havoc on the transmission. Dropping the pan to change it is good as it's an opportunity to clean the magnets and replace the filter while you're in there, but that doesn't get all of the old fluid out so you're still mixing old/new. A proper fluid exchange is to pull a line from the cooler and let the engine pump the old out while you continue to add new until you start to see the clean stuff come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts