Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

2015 200C, wouldn't start last Friday. I think daughter left the high beams on and it drained the battery. Sunday jumpstarted and went several places stopped and started fine. Today, wouldn't start, hooked up the jumper cables, when pressing the brake and pressing start button, not much happens, no radio, nothing. If I double press the remote start on the fob, the dash lights up, radio comes on, and I can get to the battery voltage. When hooked to jumper cables, battery voltage was 13.2, started, and voltage went between 14.0 and 14.2. Disconnected cables, turned off, battery voltage showed 10.2. Had battery tested Sunday after jumping and they said it was good.

How long should I let it run to see if the battery charges? Also wondering why I have to use remote start to get the dash to light up, but using start button seems to do nothing. Just FYI, the weather turned colder (< 40F) on Friday/Saturday, not sure if temperature is an issue.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Charging between 14.0-14.2 looks good. How old is the battery? If it's original, it may be failing.
I drove The Caliber to the parts store once because I had to jump start it that day. The battery passed its test, but I think that on the drive over, it had charged enough to fool the tester.
I replaced the battery and had no problems after. Maybe it would fail to start again if it sat a few hours?
You can turn on the headlamps for a couple of minutes before starting it. The beams should stay white. A good battery should be able to handle that easily.

Check the battery posts & terminals. Take the terminals right off & wire brush the contact areas. Battery terminals can look great from the outside, but the corrosion build-up between the terminal & the post is what isn't seen.
Automotive lighting Font Gas Technology Audio equipment

Another possibility is an overnight draw. Any accessories/chargers added or left on?

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Auto part Electrical wiring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've only had the car a few months, and previous owner had changed battery, so it's not original. Nothing plugged in that might draw power overnight. Battery posts look very clean, no corrosion evident. Any idea why pressing the remote start on the fob would cause the dash to light up but pressing the start button wouldn't? Can the car get into some sort of weird mode that might cause that?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
The fob battery can cause problems as it gets low. The usually symptom is that remote start will start the car, but a manual start won't unless the fob is held close to the start button.
Aftermarket LED lamps can interfere with the low-frequency communication between the fob & the RF hub.

Initially, in your first post, it sounded like a dying 12 volt battery. Did it have dim headlamps and crank over slowly?

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Document

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the fob battery with the one from my wife's fob, but I guess it could be low too. No LED lights. Several times when trying to start, it says key fob not detected. It was slow to crank when jumping it.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
If there isn't a significant 'ign-off' current draw, I suspect that the 12 volt car battery may be failing?
Remove the car battery and take it down in another car for testing the next time it fails to start the car?
I have seen 'intermittent' batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts