Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my radio to UConnect 8.4 which I got from a scrap yard and noticed that when I put it in reverse the screen turns blue. I figured that the previous car had a backup camera.

I decided to throw in a used OEM backup cam which I got from e-bay for like $100. It was trouble some to wire it since I couldn't find a stand alone harness for it anywhere and had to make my own harness, which is a different story. However I got the backup camera working which is great. :)

My ODO is flashing since I haven't got the proxi configuration alignment after I upgraded my radio. I am planing to get that done soon.

My question is: Would my backup camera stop working after the proxi configuration alignment since my car originally didn't come with a backup camera?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, consider this: your car didn't come with the uconnect stock either. They probably just add it on as a function to work with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm interested and I'm sure that others on here are interested on how you wired the camera up? Would be great if you could give a tutorial of all you used to make this homemade harness Work. Appreciate any details you can give us. Ty!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I know already that you can get the camera activated from the dealer if you pay them. I don't know for how much but I know they can. I just don't want to pay some crazy fee for it. If that is the case I can live with a flashing odometer.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
the camera will still work once you get the proxy aligned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All you need is this backup camera installation instructions. Since I didn't have the harness I ordered set of 20 AWG copper wires. You need 5 long ones about 6 meters in length and a 1.5 meter long wire for ground.

Its best if they are in different colors so you can color code them. Print out the pages and since you don't have the wire colors that the document has you have to color code them your self. For example, I had a yellow, red, blue, green, black and a gray wire. See the attachment for an example.
backCaminst.PNG
You have to make sure to color code where ever a specific wire is mentioned.

Difficult part is pining the connectors to the wires. If you can find the pins it will make things easier. Luckily when I got my radio it came with the original connector still attached to the radio and I extracted some pins from it. The rest of the pins I extracted from various connectors I found laying around in my garage.

The instructions says to remove the back seat but I couldn't do that so I fed the wires using a wire feeder to the front of the car and just followed the rest of the instructions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you for the help!! I found this on the internet. I'm sure it'll help me out a lot. Wish I had that darn harness but I'm am gonna make one just like you have. I'll even post a picture of it when I'm done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the camera will still work once you get the proxy aligned.
So I did the proxy and it actually disabled the camera so I had to enable the camera the proper way and do the proxy again.

One thing I can't seem to get it to work is the active guideline that comes one when backing up. Weird thing is on uConnect there is an option under safety to turn it on or off however mine says its on but it is not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the help!! I found this on the internet. I'm sure it'll help me out a lot. Wish I had that darn harness but I'm am gonna make one just like you have. I'll even post a picture of it when I'm done.
Np. Let me know If you got the active guide line working once you hoke up your camera because mine does not work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Msaylica. Maybe you can help me out. Or anyone else reading this. So I picked up this harness off eBay. I have this harness plugged into the camera from the trunk. Then I run the 20 awg wire from that harness to the front. Does the back of the radio need a harness as well? Im a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing you could do is what I did to install a backup camera on my 1990 motorhome. I bought a wifi-based harness set on ebay for around 15 bucks.. You just hook it up on each end as shown. No wiring necessary between monitor and camera!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts