Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off phone with Chrysler Uconnect. Was informed that 2015 - 2017 Chrysler 200C Uconnect uses older 3G technology which is going obsolete sometime this summer. Although there is a 4G adapter for some Chrysler vehicles, the 200 and two other models cannot use the adapter. We subscribed ($149/year), mainly for the voice text message, which is one of the safety features of the system. They said the phone can still be connected with Bluetooth without Uconnect, but will only be able to reply with pre-selected displayed messages.
Although it is totally unacceptable for a vehicle manufacturer to take our $34K for a car and then discontinue this and other safety features like remote lock, 911, etc., I fully expect they will do it. Person said they were looking into alternative solutions, but we all know they will keep saying that until we just give up and accept our cars no longer have the features that cost us many thousands of extra dollars.

·
Super Moderator
2,159 Posts
Never subscribed to UConnect services. Expensive for what is offered.

However, if you could post where you found this information, ( not the phone call ) then please do.
I find it hard to believe UConnect will stop support for just this car. The same system is in place for all 2015 Chrysler branded vehicles, Durango, Town & Country, Challenger and the 300. Why just drop the 200 ? Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
49 Posts
3g was already obsolete in 2015. It does seem a bit silly that they would be nitpicky about who they are willing to sell a 4g adapter to though.

I subscribed for the first 2 years that I had the car.
The talk to text feature was kind of clunky. If I felt compelled to reply, I would more often just use the talk to text that was built into my phone.
The car locator was kind of handy to have if you forgot where you parked or someone borrowed the car and you want to spy on them.
The remote locking was nice for peace of mind if I started second guessing whether I remembered to lock it.

The only feature that I honestly used much was the remote start. I always start considering a subscription when winter comes but then I look at subscription prices and change my mind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did a bit of searching on this and the adapter is apparently an OBDII dongle from T-Mobile: T-Mobile 4G Adapter

For some reason it looks like the 200 and the Dodge Dart are both being left out, though I suppose that could change since some of the other vehicles use the same head unit.

Personally I subscribed the first few years for the app based remote start but eventually decided it wasn't worth the cost (especially since I found the fob had enough range if I went to a second floor window in my office).

I guess this might make the decision for some on whether to install an aftermarket head unit to get Carplay or Android Auto a bit easier since Uconnect Access is one of the few features not retained.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The thing that seems odd to me is that the list of compatibility is based on model of vehicle instead of model of radio. It could be that since the ra4 was only available in upper level trims there just aren't enough 200's with them to bother adding it to the list. I believe that the best option the dart offered was an ra3 w/ navigation so naturally it would not be on that list.

I can't imagine that the 4g adapter is going to work out very well for people. The whole concept is kind of clunky.

·
Registered
310 Posts
3G going obsolete doesn't mean it's going anywhere, at least not anytime soon. 3G is still the fall back from the (fake) 4G 'lte' and will be for a long time until the 5G network is completed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 3G retirement is already underway and it looks like the majority of carriers plan to have it out of service by the end of 2022 at the latest, in the U.S. anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: RB1991

·
Registered
310 Posts
Most companies have barely got 4G. 4G LTE is not real 4G, it's a 4G 'light'. Companies went with it because it didn't require wholesale replacing of their cell service infrastructure.

4G has been around since 2008, and if your provider only offers 4G LTE, then they will likely take a long time to go full 4G-5G.

Either way, use your subscription until it doesn't work. Could be a year, could be 5 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the 200 has a different network and/or systems that many other models. Due to this, I would bet the the issue isn't with UConnect arbitrarily deciding that they didn't want to support the 200 anymore, but instead because the dongle just plain doesn't work on a 200. At least a 2015+ 200.

My support for this is that I have owned a 2015 Challenger and still own a 2015 200, both at the same time. I used AlphaOBD to turn on hidden features of my Challenger several different times, all without issue. I tried making a change to my 200 exactly once. It lit up the dash like Christmas so I undid the change and figured I got lucky it fixed it. There is something different in how the 200 works system wise when compared to the Challenger I owned.

Last point, for people with Challengers and Chargers who want to turn on the Super Track Pak apps, having 3G go away is a blessing. Every time the car get's within range of a tower, if the car is registered with UConnect as not having those apps, the system updates and turns it off again. And there is no way to get UConnect to stop it. I know of one guy that got them to remove his info from their system and it still turns off STP when he get's close enough to a tower.

Personally, I'm not interested in having my car connected to the internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The third vehicle not being supported is the Jeep Cherokee. I just got off the phone with UConnect and was told that in addition to to remote start, lock/unlock, etc., additional features that may not work are Sirius XM Traffic/Travel Link (I spoke with Sirius XM and they said that it depends on the radio and they really won't know which ones are affected until it happens), and navigation. I was told that "in town" navigation should work fine, but in some areas the navigation system depends on the cell towers instead of the satellites and in those areas the navigation will be affected. Over-the-air radio updates will also not work (not that updates via USB are difficult, but that is another thing that will stop working). Even if you don't pay for a UConnect package, there are still a lot of features that are using the 3G system in the vehicle. I was told the the 4G dongle burns out the radio on the Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, and Jeep Cherokee, and that the only thing that can be done is to replace the entire radio. They are not working on any other solution at this time, according to the representative I spoke with. I am not happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts

However, if you could post where you found this information, ( not the phone call ) then please do.
I find it hard to believe UConnect will stop support for just this car. The same system is in place for all 2015 Chrysler branded vehicles, Durango, Town & Country, Challenger and the 300. Why just drop the 200 ? Doesn't make sense.
This is the text from the email Uconnect sent to me:

Important Legal Notification about Uconnect Access Services for your 2015 Jeep® Grand Cherokee 1C4RJEBGXXXXXXXXX
As a valued customer, we want to make you aware of changes that will impact the Uconnect® Access services in your vehicle in the near future. The Uconnect Access system in your vehicle operates on the Sprint 3G CDMA wireless network. This network is scheduled to shut down on or around January 1, 2022.

What this means for you:
The capacity and coverage of the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is expected to change between now and the time that the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is fully decommissioned. Once decommissioned, the features of the Uconnect Access Advantage Package will no longer operate in your vehicle, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s
7 Posts

I just had the same conversation with uconnect, chrysler 200 will lose service when changed to 4G

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got off the phone with the parts department at my dealership. I wanted to see if there was a factory replacement for the radio, just in case I wanted to do anything about it. I was told that there was not one. He said I would have to go aftermarket. I had my vehicle built at the factory for me with every tech option offered. I doubt I could find an aftermarket radio that would integrate with all of my tech features. Of course, an aftermarket radio would not work with UConnect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got off the phone with the parts department at my dealership. I wanted to see if there was a factory replacement for the radio, just in case I wanted to do anything about it. I was told that there was not one. He said I would have to go aftermarket. I had my vehicle built at the factory for me with every tech option offered. I doubt I could find an aftermarket radio that would integrate with all of my tech features. Of course, an aftermarket radio would not work with UConnect.
JP2014

Check out Paul's thread about his aftermarket Kenwood upgrade.

Looking at his pictures again it appears he has the safety tec package. I know this doesn't fix the Uconnect issue. So no remote start over phone etc...

I've been looking at upgrading my 8.4 nav unit. I never subscribed to Uconnect so I don't need it. I did recently purchase a Kenwood 1037s radio and finally have the parts to install this weekend. All of the features my 200 has will work through this new display. Mainly heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

Pioneer has some radios out that have Alexa built in. I can't remember the company. But there is an aftermarket remote start that has a monthly subscription for phone app use. I read that someone was able to make it work through Alexa commands. I don't use Alexa but I believe it would also work through Google home, home assistant which is what I have, and apple.

Never used all that anyways. The key fob works fine for my remote start. Over this summer when my 8.4 nav quit showing the green, yellow, red traffic info due to them dropping 3g support. It was kind of frustrating coming up on a road closure that would have been prevented had it still had that info and rerouted me. Instead I had to find my own backtracking wasting time. That is another reason why I'm upgrading to an Android auto capable radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got off phone with Chrysler Uconnect. Was informed that 2015 - 2017 Chrysler 200C Uconnect uses older 3G technology which is going obsolete sometime this summer. Although there is a 4G adapter for some Chrysler vehicles, the 200 and two other models cannot use the adapter. We subscribed ($149/year), mainly for the voice text message, which is one of the safety features of the system. They said the phone can still be connected with Bluetooth without Uconnect, but will only be able to reply with pre-selected displayed messages.
Although it is totally unacceptable for a vehicle manufacturer to take our $34K for a car and then discontinue this and other safety features like remote lock, 911, etc., I fully expect they will do it. Person said they were looking into alternative solutions, but we all know they will keep saying that until we just give up and accept our cars no longer have the features that cost us many thousands of extra dollars.
I got this same message at some point this summer too, a couple of months back, through an email maybe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mentioned 200, and two others. One was the Jeep Renegade, don't remember the other one. Could not find any information online about this so I posted it. If you don't believe me, call Uconnect.
I just got informed my 2018 jeep Cherokee is on the cut list. Seems kinda bogus that you can't upgrade the uconnect system somehow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
isn't it possible to file a lawsuit that is unfair to people who purchased these cars for the features some of us still have a carnotes, also what if we wanted to trade in what value would it be this is [email protected]@##$$%

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it is very unfair for Chrysler to discontinue uconnect for 2015-2017 when people purchased these cars for those feature why are there no alternatives to these features how about a refund or a class action lawsuit this is unfair and we are Paying monthly as well for these features as well as package that was included with the car package, unable to speak to higher ups just uconnect customer care reps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts