Chrysler 200 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
C'mon folks...I think we all knew (or should've known) when you bought the car that the technology in it would at some point become obsolete. FCA made no promise at any time that they would offer continual updates forever. I think the fact that you can still get map updates for a discounted vehicle is pretty good. What will you do when you find out your home PC won't update to Windows 11? Will you try to reach Mr. Nadella himself to demand he continue to support your 5 year old PC? We all know that the tech in the auto industry moves at a slower pace and that even when new the tech in our cars was already years behind the current.
For many of us we did not know. I would expect my 2017 would continue to work I did know it ran on a 3g network. It may have been printed so where most of people we just happy to have the features.
3g was already obsolete in 2015. It does seem a bit silly that they would be nitpicky about who they are willing to sell a 4g adapter to though.
I wish we could sue..Class Action Suite..But I wouldn't know to sue.

·
Super Moderator
2,207 Posts
I wish we could sue..Class Action Suite..But I wouldn't know to sue.
What would you sue someone for ?
The advancement of technology ?
This issue has affected many car companies, brands and models.
It's not just Chrysler.
For those that don't read the entire thread, here is some important information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am extremely upset as I just bought a 2018 Jeep cherokee in June specifically for the "extras" it had. Traffic, Uconnect remote start, navigation, etc. If none of these things work, this car is useless for what I wanted it for. And like you said, what exactly will the resale value be???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got off phone with Chrysler Uconnect. Was informed that 2015 - 2017 Chrysler 200C Uconnect uses older 3G technology which is going obsolete sometime this summer. Although there is a 4G adapter for some Chrysler vehicles, the 200 and two other models cannot use the adapter. We subscribed ($149/year), mainly for the voice text message, which is one of the safety features of the system. They said the phone can still be connected with Bluetooth without Uconnect, but will only be able to reply with pre-selected displayed messages.
Although it is totally unacceptable for a vehicle manufacturer to take our $34K for a car and then discontinue this and other safety features like remote lock, 911, etc., I fully expect they will do it. Person said they were looking into alternative solutions, but we all know they will keep saying that until we just give up and accept our cars no longer have the features that cost us many thousands of extra dollars.
Hi. I recently lost my voice text ability and was also told it was because the 3G system was decommissioned, and that they have not found a new system compliant with my 2017 Jeep Cherokee. Have you found anything further?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am extremely upset as I just bought a 2018 Jeep cherokee in June specifically for the "extras" it had. Traffic, Uconnect remote start, navigation, etc. If none of these things work, this car is useless for what I wanted it for. And like you said, what exactly will the resale value be???
Everything works on my 2017 Except voice texting. It seems odd that all of your functions stopped, I was told it's only voice texting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The third vehicle not being supported is the Jeep Cherokee. I just got off the phone with UConnect and was told that in addition to to remote start, lock/unlock, etc., additional features that may not work are Sirius XM Traffic/Travel Link (I spoke with Sirius XM and they said that it depends on the radio and they really won't know which ones are affected until it happens), and navigation. I was told that "in town" navigation should work fine, but in some areas the navigation system depends on the cell towers instead of the satellites and in those areas the navigation will be affected. Over-the-air radio updates will also not work (not that updates via USB are difficult, but that is another thing that will stop working). Even if you don't pay for a UConnect package, there are still a lot of features that are using the 3G system in the vehicle. I was told the the 4G dongle burns out the radio on the Chrysler 200, Jeep Renegade, and Jeep Cherokee, and that the only thing that can be done is to replace the entire radio. They are not working on any other solution at this time, according to the representative I spoke with. I am not happy.
I too own a 2017 Cherokee, very upset about the run around that I am receiving. It is true that my XM is always acquiring signal and navigation only works in town. Although I was told the dongle won't work on my vehicle, I went to T-mobile and spoke with them. I went ahead and purchased one and it doesn't work with U connect. Although it does give me all app features on my phone. I still do have navigation or XM. The 2 thing I want. Mad mother here!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I too own a 2017 Cherokee, very upset about the run around that I am receiving. It is true that my XM is always acquiring signal and navigation only works in town. Although I was told the dongle won't work on my vehicle, I went to T-mobile and spoke with them. I went ahead and purchased one and it doesn't work with U connect. Although it does give me all app features on my phone. I still do have navigation or XM. The 2 thing I want. Mad mother here!
Navigation is normally independent of cell service. It normally would be based solely on GPS signal and map data stored in the unit's memory. These two elements have no relation to cell signals, so you should still be able to navigate. The only time it might have to refer to a cell tower would be when GPS satellite signal is blocked, such as when in tunnel or parking garage. If you had a standalone Garmin GPS is wouldn't work in those conditions either. On the other hand, traffic data is provided via the cell signal, and that may be another portion of navigation that Sirius informed the earlier poster would no longer work without 3G. So to the extent you rely on that you will be out of luck. (It is nowhere near as good as that provided by Google for Google Maps of Waze, and I have never found it to be useful) . The rest of the navigation function should still work nearly all the time, even without 3G or 4G cell connection.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,217 Posts
Type your VIN in here to see if there are any Uconnect updates:
There may also be pending FCA updates for RJ* and RA* radios:

Font Number Screenshot Document

Font Circle Number Screenshot Document

Font Number Document

Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

Font Number Document Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
14 Posts
3G going obsolete doesn't mean it's going anywhere, at least not anytime soon. 3G is still the fall back from the (fake) 4G 'lte' and will be for a long time until the 5G network is completed.
3G services were discontinued to make use of radio spectrum to further enhance 5G technology by allocating more space. My 3G services officially stopped working as of 5-31-22 here in the Bloomington, IN area. I do pay for Sirius/XM radio and the navigation still works without the help of the 3G network. Phones still need the data to get the triangulation started. Then you can turn off data and leave location on and it will still route you. I guess what I'm getting at is whoever "they" are that should be fixing this problem could easily pay the money to SIRIUS/XM satellite services to offer a data link. The technology is already there.

3G going obsolete doesn't mean it's going anywhere, at least not anytime soon. 3G is still the fall back from the (fake) 4G 'lte' and will be for a long time until the 5G network is completed.
Just got off phone with Chrysler Uconnect. Was informed that 2015 - 2017 Chrysler 200C Uconnect uses older 3G technology which is going obsolete sometime this summer. Although there is a 4G adapter for some Chrysler vehicles, the 200 and two other models cannot use the adapter. We subscribed ($149/year), mainly for the voice text message, which is one of the safety features of the system. They said the phone can still be connected with Bluetooth without Uconnect, but will only be able to reply with pre-selected displayed messages.
Although it is totally unacceptable for a vehicle manufacturer to take our $34K for a car and then discontinue this and other safety features like remote lock, 911, etc., I fully expect they will do it. Person said they were looking into alternative solutions, but we all know they will keep saying that until we just give up and accept our cars no longer have the features that cost us many thousands of extra dollars.

·
Administrator
2,217 Posts
Yes, the Sirius/XM TravelLink services are unaffected.
Our cars are orphans. The 200 (UF) was cancelled in 2016 to open Sterling Heights assembly & make more Ram 1500 (DS) trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked to you connect today and was pissed off because I purchased the Wi-Fi which is 3G for my 2016 Durango I have the 8.4 screen. I was never told that the system was going to do what it's doing which is. No more uconnect store app can't push the assistant button it'll keep telling you to call a 1-800 number which is uconnect the Yelp don't work she said The Voice app won't work but I haven't tried that yet cuz I was too pissed off about everything else. I used to be able to press the app for like gas stations nearby movie theaters etc it's gone. I've only had my truck since October but I am a complete Dodge fan I also have another Dodge that I care dearly about and is very old. I know that technology will change but not when I spend almost 50 Grand on a vehicle and haven't even had it for a whole year. I agree with some of the people on here a lawsuit definitely needs to be done. This is not going to fly by me I will look up some stuff and I will get back with you guys. There used to be a thing where you could jailbreak it but I'm not even sure if that works now.

·
Administrator
2,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A 2016 Durango should be one of the vehicles eligible for the 4G dongle (see the attachment in post #51).

The movie theaters & gas stations, etc are a SiriusXM TravelLink service & not a Uconnect service. If you have lost those, something may have happened to the TravelLink subscription? Visit moparownerconnect.com.

Having the radio at the latest & greatest software version may address connectivity & other issues (see TSB #08-046-18A below).

Rectangle Purple Violet Font Magenta

Font Number Circle Document Screenshot

Font Parallel Screenshot Magenta Document

·
Registered
3 Posts
My navigation system has been messing up having glitches not moving to the next stop. Also the Yelp does not work I have the Wi-Fi the only thing it's good for is when I use my tablet in the truck which it the vehicle has to be on and I have my insurance that has to be plugged up to that as well so I have to alternate them somebody said I could get a splitter. And then some say I can't. Also I heard a lot of sound when I turned on my air conditioning and I have something leaking I'll figure it out tomorrow. But all the traveling stuff is down. I purchase the SiriusXM and that website is down. Everything is crashing and it won't complete when I say command. I'm really pissed off that this is happening when I paid so much money for this truck

·
Administrator
2,217 Posts
You can check for Uconnect updates by entering your VIN here:
Otherwise, see your dealer for module updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can check for Uconnect updates by entering your VIN here:
Otherwise, see your dealer for module updates.
I am already updated and that's another thing I had to do that myself

·
Administrator
2,217 Posts
I see no TSBs for NAV or Sirius TravelLink for the 2016 Durango (WD-body).
If you have the latest software version (17.43.01), then I would call to schedule a diagnostic (1 hr labor?) with your dealer.
NAV and Sirius applications are not a part of Uconnect. You have other things going on here.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts