Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to update my software today. I had a clear USB. Downloaded the update to it. Plugged it in the car with ignition on start. I didn't press anything and I got to step 9 out of 11 it was tittle Sierra air card and it sat on 1% for 10-15 minutes and then I guess it timed out. And now it doesn't work at all except it says insert usb. I tried it again and it gets stuck in the exact same spot. I'm now trying to re download the file and try it again. I initially was trying to update the software because a message kept popping up saying vehicle phone issue please visit dealer. And I did visit dealer but they couldn't fix it either. Any suggestions? Or at least does any one know how to factory reset? Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have you tried the engineering menu?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I initially was trying to update the software because a message kept popping up saying vehicle phone issue please visit dealer. And I did visit dealer but they couldn't fix it either.
You will probably have to visit the dealer for the update. Your last statement also doesn't really make much sense.

So you brought it to the dealership, the problem wasn't fixed (and you informed them it still wasn't working)...but all they said was: "Sorry, we give up " ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they said they were going to replace the whole head Unit it self. But they said it was nationally back ordered. They initially tried to hard reset the unit. That didn't fix it. I brought it back to them. Then they replaced something called a radio hub. That didn't fix it I brought it back to them. Now they want to replace the whole head unit. I feel like they don't know what they are doing just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to take it back to the dealer probably tomorrow so they can fix the software update issue. But still my initial problem remains the "vehicle phone requires service visit dealer" this is what this whole thing started over. They want to replace the head unit cuz they don't know how to fix the vehicle Phone issue.

So when I was updating it it gets stuck on step 9 called "Sierra air card" I don't know if this has something to do with the vehicle phone problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hold down the heat & cool ?? arrows for your climate control, be careful in there I've heard some people bricked their radios fooling around with the settings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paul4186. But I think I'm just going to leave it up to the dealer. I don't want to mess it up any further. Just sucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Sierra Air card is the 3G card so it's possible that it has failed. This would make sense with the messages you got and the failed firmware, they'll probably have to replace the whole head unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks lilschmied. Luckily when I started the car this morning the head unit I guess reset to factory default or previous software. So at least the radio/everything else works again. But the vehicle phone problem remains, but I don't care I'll just wait for dealer to replace it. But thanks for clearing up the Sierra air card.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cheaper, wider coverage area... At least those are my assumptions. If I could see one torn apart I might have more insight but I haven't found anyone with a teardown on the RA3/4 yet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Probably because when this was designed 3G was nationally available. You have to remember that the car was designed and engineered over the course of years. lilschmied is also accurate in stating that it is cheaper. No need to worry though, I have a friend who has a brand new Audi S4, and he too has 3G service only.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not to mention Sprint 4G is still in deployment and not available in many areas.

Had a few minutes so I went into the engineering menu and found the wireless modem chipset they used but no model number on the sierra card. Interestingly they used a chipset that can work on pretty much any network (I suspect Sierra sells this card to other vendors). With Sprint we get 3G EV-DO and CDMA, but HSPA+ is what some carriers are calling their 4G. Only matters if Chrysler decided to switch carriers which seems incredibly unlikely.

Qualcomm
MDM6600™:

• Multi-mode modem
  • HSPA+ with data rates of up to 14.4 Mbit/s
  • CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B support
  • GPS functionality, including support for Assisted GPS

·
Registered
116 Posts
In an attempt to bring this thread back from the dead. Has anybody attempted to fix their Uconnect after it’s out of warranty? I know there’s a company out there that will do it, but I’m curious if anyone has been able to do it at home? Mine does the same thing, I’m always driving through a cornfield and I get the message on my screen showing that I need to take my assist in for service

·
Registered
116 Posts
Opened my radio to see what I’d find. Not much to really inspect, but I tried unhooking all connections and putting it all back together. Seems to be working again.... for now. But here’s the wireless card that supposedly is the issue.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Opened my radio to see what I’d find. Not much to really inspect, but I tried unhooking all connections and putting it all back together. Seems to be working again.... for now. But here’s the wireless card that supposedly is the issue.
There are other threads that talk about your exact issue.
Our car had the same problem years ago. Without all the story behind what it took to get it fixed, I'll just tell you they finally replaced the radio telematics gateway module and that fixed the problem. ( part number no longer valid - 68190260AJ )
The wireless card is in for the 911 system to operate. That's not your problem. ( In my opinion )

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, so far so good. Since I disconnected and reconnected everything and clean the connections (Knock on wood), I have not had an issue. Navigation is working again along with my assist and consistent 3G. Better than spending $1300 for a new one or $400 to send it out to get it repaired. Especially if it was just a loose wire. But all the other threads that people have on this were about getting the unit replaced by Chrysler under warranty. Nobody seems to try to dismantle it and remedy the issue them selves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, so far so good. Since I disconnected and reconnected everything and clean the connections (Knock on wood), I have not had an issue. Navigation is working again along with my assist and consistent 3G. Better than spending $1300 for a new one or $400 to send it out to get it repaired. Especially if it was just a loose wire. But all the other threads that people have on this were about getting the unit replaced by Chrysler under warranty. Nobody seems to try to dismantle it and remedy the issue them selves.
Joined just to add that simply taking it out from its place and unplugging the connectors worked for me. Hopefully everyone has fixed the issue by now but if you haven’t, take it out and dust it off and give the update another try. I went at it for about 5/6 hours today until I saw this very post that i’m replying to so I appreciate the advice! This 200s is actually my fiancé’s car and it’s been driving me nuts to have the navigation show us that we are in the ocean 😅

1 - 19 of 19 Posts