Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: No one at the forum including the person posting these updates are responsible for the action that you take on your cars. You are on your own and won't get any support other than answers from people on this board.

These updates ONLY APPLY to CANADIAN and MEXICAN cars although a few members installed them on US cars and it seems to work. At this time I have 3 updates available, please make sure that you download the one that applies to your car.

1- The first one is for the 2016 Chrysler 200 (identified in the file name as MY16) equipped with the RA4 headunit. The RA4 are the 8.4 screen that came with the navigation system from the factory (8.4AN).

2- The second one is for the 2015 Chrysler 200 (identified in the file name as MY15) equipped with the RA3 headunit. The RA3 are the 8.4 screen that didn't come with the navigation system from factory (8.4A). If you have the navigation system on your car, it must have been enabled by the dealer for a fee.

3- The third one is for the 2015 Chrysler 200 (identified in the file name as MY15) equipped with the RA4 headunit. The RA4 are the 8.4 screen that came with the navigation system from factory (8.4AN).

BEFORE you do the update, please make sure that you read the TSB that applies to your car as the way to perform the update has changed slightly, some ignition cycles must be performed at the end for the update to complete succesfully.

Update can be long, it took 45 minutes to perform on my car so make sure the engine is running while doing it to avoid running out of battery.

DO NOT TOUCH anything while performing the update including Rolling Windows up/down, AC, radio, steering controls, pedals, ANYTHING so make sure you are comfortable before you begin.

Here are the links to the TSB, make sure you read the proper one:

2015: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0804717.pdf
2016: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0804617.pdf

Here is a link to download the Uconnect update version 17.11.07 MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE ONE THAT APPLIES TO YOUR SYSTEM AS SOME USERS HAVE ALREADY BRICKED THEIR RADIO EVEN WITH ALL THE WARNINGS ABOVE. DOWNLOAD ONLY IF IT APPLIES TO YOUR SPECIFIC SYSTEM: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2022a2suF_PMC1BdUNnMkhyNUU

The ZIP file must be extracted to a freshly formatted (FAT 32) thumb drive to perform the update. You should only have 2 files on your thumb drive: SWDL.iso and SWDL.upd.

Again, you are on your own and if you are not tech savvy, be aware that if performed the wrong way, the update can brick your headunit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks! I know the US is OTA but what about for those of us that have swapped out the unit or just don't get Sprint 3g. They have to be making a download for the new update I hope...

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I know the US is OTA but what about for those of us that have swapped out the unit or just don't get Sprint 3g. They have to be making a download for the new update I hope...
From what I heard from my good friend at the dealership, no they won't. This is not a public update but it will be easy to get it. Just look at the issues fixed by it in the TSB and go to the dealer and complain about one or two of those issues. If you are out of warranty they might charge you for it though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Finally got a chance to dig through these and I have a strong feeling these are the same as the OTA update. It appears they did not take the time to strip out any apps from this package, therefore it should work for us "swappers" as well. It even has an OTA installer folder in it because this same package is pushed to folks in the US.

I do see additional/different apps in the MY16 package from the MY15 one so be sure to use the one for the car your hardware came from as stated above.

Fernboy, do you have any more info about the people that bricked units?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also wanted to point out that the two files here are different in another way:
The MY2015 file is for RA3/VP3(no nav from factory) and the MY2016 is VP4/RA4(nav enabled from factory)

Does anyone have a 2015 VP4/RA4 file? Haven't been able to track one down yet so i haven't been able to test this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hahaha! I wish that was the case. :) I happened upon the Hellcat forum post when searching out a download link for the Uconnect update. Someday, maybe I'll have one, but not yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Hahaha! I wish that was the case. :) I happened upon the Hellcat forum post when searching out a download link for the Uconnect update. Someday, maybe I'll have one, but not yet.
Oops !
Well like you said, maybe someday.
MoPars rule.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry for the triple post. My first post with the link to my personal NextCloud page didn't work, so I fixed that link and provided it below. I wanted to leave that one up in case Microsoft has a quota on sharing from OneDrive, since the file is 1.5GB.

https://goo.gl/2Vyrkq

I did decide to be a guinea pig and also installed it on my U.S. spec'd 2015 200. So far, so good and installed fine. Most noticeable differences are with themes, icons page and voice assistance.

I'll report back if I run into any issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues either. I noticed the same things you did. I like the new themes, and they updated the Uconnect voice, so it sounds a bit more natural. All in all, it's a worthwhile update. It essentially turns the 2015 8.4 Unconnect into a 2016 head unit.

respdoc, your 200c is spec'ed almost identically to mine. I will say it has been a great car for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oops !
Well like you said, maybe someday.
MoPars rule.
They certainly do. I've been a Mopar man since childhood. Comes from my dad, he's bought nothing but Mopar for as long as I can remember. I've followed suit, as have my brothers and I.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also wanted to point out that the two files here are different in another way:
The MY2015 file is for RA3/VP3(no nav from factory) and the MY2016 is VP4/RA4(nav enabled from factory)

Does anyone have a 2015 VP4/RA4 file? Haven't been able to track one down yet so i haven't been able to test this.
It is now posted above.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be happy the day we get Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I won't hold my breath though. :p
You most likely won't get it as this update should be one of the last, if not the last for at least the 2015 cars. FCA most likely won't provide update on cars that will be (most of the 2015 will be) out of warranty during the coming year.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You most likely won't get it as this update should be one of the last, if not the last for at least the 2015 cars. FCA most likely won't provide update on cars that will be (most of the 2015 will be) out of warranty during the coming year.
Yes and no. The complete list for the U.S. OTA updates goes back to even 2013 vehicles:

Models:

2013-2016 Ram 1500/2500/3500
2014-2016 Jeep Cherokee
2015-2016 Dodge Challenger
2015-2016 Dodge Charger
2015-2016 Chrysler 300
2015-2016 Chrysler 200
2014-2016 Dodge Durango
2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013-2016 Dodge Viper

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did decide to be a guinea pig and also installed it on my U.S. spec'd 2015 200. So far, so good and installed fine. Most noticeable differences are with themes, icons page and voice assistance.

I'll report back if I run into any issues.
hachna & respdoc,

Did you install the update with the engine running as per TSB 08-04-717 or the way I recall we have in the past with the ignition switch in RUN but not started?

I'm speculating that the TSB calls for having the engine running only to prevent drawing down a weak battery too far for the update to complete. I'd rather just make sure I have fully charged battery beforehand and perform update without wasting fuel, and then recharge the battery again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I decided to play around with my radio quite a bit yesterday and found a few interesting things:
Yes this update works great even for those of us that swapped, but man is it slow to install. It re-verifies the iso every time it reboots. This adds a solid 15-20 minutes to the install time and can give you the impression the upgrade is not working. You can be 30 minutes in and it reboots back to step 1, but then it jumps to step 7. This is normal.

Just for fun I tried this: If you try install the wrong model year(i.e. MY16 version in a 2015) the upgrade will attempt to run! It will reboot on step 1 pre-installing iso over and over. if you remove the stick you will get the please insert update USB message. Do not panic, it's not bricked(at least mine wasn't). Simply go download the correct version and put it on your stick, the update will complete normally from there.

I ran this with the engine running, you could probably do it without, but the install time for me was 43 minutes. That's a long time to have the car in run mode without starting it and would probably drain the battery quite a bit.

I also had some fun with installing/enabling performance pages on my old version just to see if it was worth it. I'll put that in it's own thread.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I successfully updated to 17-11-07 (US) without the engine running. However, I did fully charge the battery beforehand and kept the charger connected during the update process.

I decided I had better things to do than babysit the car for 40 minutes while it updated. So I started out by opening the windows so I could reach in to begin the update and monitor from the outside without opening the door. Once the update process was underway I came back to check the progress roughly every 15 minutes.

I observed a couple of interesting things.

The EDIC Vehicle Information Battery display apparently doesn't update until the engine is started. It was showing only 12.1V while the meter I had connected to the battery showed it fully charged at about 12.8-12.9V.

When I came back to check progress the final time, at about 46 minutes, the car had already shut off. It concerned me when I saw all the displays were dark, but it must be by design. It apparently shuts down by itself a few minutes after the update installation is complete, likely to avoid further battery drain. I simply completed the process per the TSB, opening and shutting the door, waiting until display shut down; then once again - ignition on, ignition off, opening / shutting door, wait, done.

When I turned the ignition on again after completing the update process, the EDIC showed a warning something like ACW FW Disabled Service Needed. The warning cleared after I followed the rest of the TSB instructions for Safety Tec vehicles: Go into the radio Settings menu and select Safety & Driving Assistance. Locate the Blind Spot Alert feature and verify the “Lights + Chimes” option is turned on. Of course this should only be necessary for cars with the Safety Tec package, and probably not even then if the Light + Chimes option were previously set on. I had the chime turned off, as both wife and I find it excessively loud, enough so as to induce an adrenaline jolt. (Note to FCA - In the circumstance when this chime sounds I already have the turn-signal on and am checking to see if the adjacent lane is clear. All I need and want is a noticeable warning if it isn't, not a DEFCON 5 klaxon, that scares everyone in the car!)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I also didn't have my car running.

Interesting site note is under the system information. While the maps don't seem to be "updated", the Map DataBase number changed.

Before it would list it in a quarter/year format (mine are still from Q4/2012). Now all it shows after the first set of numbers is "V1".

·
Registered
838 Posts
I also didn't have my car running.

Interesting site note is under the system information. While the maps don't seem to be "updated", the Map DataBase number changed.

Before it would list it in a quarter/year format (mine are still from Q4/2012). Now all it shows after the first set of numbers is "V1".
I have to wonder if they eliminated the date format so owners would no longer be able to see just how obsolete the data is?

Now that that UConnect has been updated, it will be interesting to see if and when updated map data will finally become available.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts