Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2016 200LX with a 5 in. u-connect screen. When I insert a USB flash drive, with say 30Gb of music, it takes forever to load, maybe 20 or 30 minutes. It starts to play the first song on the drive within a few seconds, but I can't navigate all the data until it's fully loaded. Does anyone else have this. Everything works fine once it's completely loaded. But it's irritating having to wait so long to navigate. Comments would be welcome.馃檪
Thanks........Dave

Registered
I have the same size flash plugged into my 2015 w/ the 8.4. It's not super fast to completely load, but I've never seen it take longer than maybe 5 min before it was fully searchable. I usually have all 5143 songs on shuffle. There is not really any noticeable lag unless I happen to want a particular song right as I start my drive.

I've also noticed that it's not quite as quick to load if take the drive out and put it back in. It might be closer to your experience in that circumstance. When I put a new flash in, even with only about 1000 songs, I won't see album art appear for 20min or so sometimes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same size flash plugged into my 2015 w/ the 8.4. It's not super fast to completely load, but I've never seen it take longer than maybe 5 min before it was fully searchable. I usually have all 5143 songs on shuffle. There is not really any noticeable lag unless I happen to want a particular song right as I start my drive.

I've also noticed that it's not quite as quick to load if take the drive out and put it back in. It might be closer to your experience in that circumstance. When I put a new flash in, even with only about 1000 songs, I won't see album art appear for 20min or so sometimes.
Thanks for getting back.
First of all, I don't know if there may be a difference between an 8.4 and a 5.0. Probably not, but who knows? Just to be clear, I also have several thousand songs on the drive. And once it's fully loaded, I have no problem with speed navigating folder to folder or song to song. It just takes this extraordinary length of time after initially inserting the drive, much like you and your 20 minutes before seeing album art. I have 2 or 3 folders of music on the drive, and like I was saying, as soon as I initially insert the drive, the first song on the drive begins to play very soon after, but I can't navigate, for instance, from folder to folder, or anything else for that matter. It just tells me I have to wait. Like you say, your drive also has to be fully loaded before you get any album art. Can you navigate, for instance, song to song right after inserting the drive? Or are you denied that function also, as with your album art, the ability to move from folder to folder, or song to song?
Thanks again.......Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I found this TSB #08-016-17A that may apply?:
Thanks for that link. I don't see my specific concern documented in the list of symptoms. My situation isn't that the unit is not functioning, it just seems very slow to upload data from a flash drive. It's an inconvenience, but I can live with it.
The fix, that relates to this service bulletin, seems quite complex, so I'll likely not pursue it with my dealership service department. The unit works fine, other than the USB data uploading time. So I think that it might be wise to just let it go. Kind of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And besides, since it's a service bulletin, and not a recall, the term, "reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty" is also mentioned. My vehicle warranty certainly no longer applies. I think I might as well just let it go. But thank you anyway for your kind attention. I appreciate it.

Thanks again......Dave馃檪

Registered
I think the primary problem is that the USB and processor just isn't fast enough to index that many files on a moments notice. It seems like the slowest loading is only when you first put the drive in so I only take mine out if I want to swap/edit files.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I think the primary problem is that the USB and processor just isn't fast enough to index that many files on a moments notice. It seems like the slowest loading is only when you first put the drive in so I only take mine out if I want to swap/edit files.
I think you're right. What got me wondering, in the first place, was that my son's 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 would load a 3,000 song (16Gb) flash drive almost instantly. My 5.0 screen u-connect is in my 2016 200LX. So maybe that's it.
I ran a test about an hour ago. It took 21 minutes to fully load a 128Gb, 20,268 song flash drive in my unit. I can live with that.馃檪

Registered
If you think about it, The high tech phones of that year of production were the Apple 6s and Samsung S6 which both almost seem like antiques from a tech perspective today. It's not a huge surprise if the 2020 uconnect is faster just based on having 4 year newer silicone in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
If you think about it, The high tech phones of that year of production were the Apple 6s and Samsung S6 which both almost seem like antiques from a tech perspective today. It's not a huge surprise if the 2020 uconnect is faster just based on having 4 year newer silicone in it.
Absolutely!
Also, it's likely already possible. Who knows? I'm definitely old school. But one day I might be able to load my car sound system directly from my home computer, and do content edits right from home.
Right now I'd be satisfied if I could just do a simple music file delete, from my flash drive, right in my car.:unsure: I don't know how many times, while listening, to one of maybe 20,000 songs on a flash drive, I've wanted to delete that horrible piece of crap!!馃

Registered
I'm a little surprised that they dropped the internal hard drive that some older model uconnects had. It was handy just plugging in the flash drive once and uploading everything. It didn't have a shuffle all feature though so you had to search albums to play which was a nuisance while driving. Whoever got that van inherited a nice collection.

I would bet that playing DRM free music files isn't a huge demand from the younger car buying crowd that was born around the time I was downloading songs on napster over dial up.

Even I don't have much of anything from after 2005 when I bought a Zune and could listen to anything that was ever recorded for $10 a month. My mp3s are definitely way better sounding on that 9 speaker alpine system than streaming Spotify though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
My mp3s are definitely way better sounding on that 9 speaker alpine system than streaming Spotify though.
Probably 95% of my music collection is music I ripped from a very extensive CD collection. All kinds of music, but especially classic rock, blues, and country. CD replacements of vinyl albums from the '60s and '70s. I was 15 years old when The Beatles released their first album. Then came everything! Hendrix, Stones, The Who, Zeppelin, Floyd, Cream, Dylan, and on and on.........It was great to be alive. Sometimes it was a miracle to be alive!
I'll just take a moment to indulge my bragging rights. A year and a half ago I parted company with my 2014 Dodge Dart GT. It had the 9 speaker Alpine system, which was just fine, and it sounded great. I downsized my car a bit to a 2016 200LX that only had 13,720 kms. (8,525 miles) on it. A very basic car, with with a very prehistoric factory Chrysler 4 speaker, Acme 10 watt sound system. It did have the 5.0 u-connect screen upgrade. So at least that was something. But generally speaking, it was never going to cut it.
I removed those speakers and installed 6x9 Kenwoods in the front doors, with matching tweeters in the dash. I put Kenwood 2 way speakers in the rear deck, and powered it all with a comfortably sized 45 watt 4 channel Kenwood amp. Then I added a 300 watt, 10" Rockford Fosgate powered sub in the trunk. Now it sounds real good, and I like to drive!

Be good.....Dave馃檪

1 - 11 of 11 Posts