Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just registered for the forums because I wanted to see if i could get some questions answered from actual owners.

I just test drove a V6 2016 200C yesterday with 41k miles. I thought the car was amazing and really what I was looking for. I started digging around on the internet more and saw a lot of mixed reviews and people calling out Chrysler's reliability.

1. Have you had any major problems with your cars?
  2. Would you buy the car over?
I mainly want a car that I can buy and don't have to worry about repairs for a good year or two.

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Hi,

I just registered for the forums because I wanted to see if i could get some questions answered from actual owners.

I just test drove a V6 2016 200C yesterday with 41k miles. I thought the car was amazing and really what I was looking for. I started digging around on the internet more and saw a lot of mixed reviews and people calling out Chrysler's reliability.

1. Have you had any major problems with your cars?
  2. Would you buy the car over?
I mainly want a car that I can buy and don't have to worry about repairs for a good year or two.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the forum Drunion !
First I suggest search though the forum to read what other owners say.
Most will tell you the 3.6 is the best engine to get.
The transmission issues were mostly solved by 2016. Make sure it has the updates.
The rest are all opinions.
Nobody can tell you that a problem won't occur.
Check out the vehicle with a competent mechanic, and good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Like most newer cars Chrysler (FIAT) has had to drastically reduce the weight of their cars to meet Gov requirements for gas mileage... I have rebuilt a 2016 200s and found a lot of aluminum and plastic in areas that older cars had steel... and I replaced a lot of those light weight parts damaged from the crash... None of the newer cars will be a good as cars 5~10 years ago and will never last to become "classics" 40 years from now... I like my 200s but know it won't last over 10 years and new parts won't be available for it fairly soon... Even the top European brands like Mercedes and BMW cars are lightweight crush boxes and their drive trains are becoming short lived 4 cylinder turbo charged junk... If you want a reliable car then find a 10~15 year old car that has been babied...
Sorry...
Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
I say if you like it and want too get only a few years out of it then buy it. Car will last 100000mi plus easily w proper maintenance. Drivetrain is one of the best as far as reliability. As said earlier make sure all pcm updates and recalls have been done and you'll be good. More quirks than actual problems w this car and because it was only produced 2 yrs, as said there will be limited aftermarket and factory parts but maintenance parts are not an issue and the junk yards will provide the rest for the next 5 years or so. I plan on driving mine into the ground which I hope will be around 150000mi

·
Registered
33 Posts
HiYa,

I had a 2013 Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 and purposely traded it in for a new style pre-owned 2015 Chrysler 200S with the 3.6. having 30K/miles on it. I LOVE THIS CAR! Yea, I read about the good, the bad and the ugly about this car but you have to consider the number ratio of people complaining to the actual production numbers that were built of people NOT complaining. It's like that in ALL the forums. No matter WHICH vehicle you buy. (I had a BMW 525I and was on their forum and all the complaining scared the **** outta me, making me lose confidence in the car but I had no issues with that car either....LoL) Someone is always complaining about something. As for the 200, FCA should of kept producing these instead of quitting in 2017. As for you, get a CARFAX report and also record the VIN and call a FCA dealer and have them check the service/repair history on it, especially where it was bought from. They should have some info for you. I searched specifically for a blue 200 with the 3.6 and the Alpine sound system & heated seats. (hard to find) and I love it. Also, the engine only requires "conventional" oil instead of the pricey full synthetic. I have read owners concerned about the motor running "hot" and overheating of which mine has never went past 235 degrees and I have no issues at all. (the temp. bar graph was still under the 1/2 way point at 235 degs.) As for performance, the 3.6 kicks out 295H.P. similar to a Subaru WRX. I just bought a SPECTRE performance intake kit that I'm going to install. As for bells & whistles, definitely get the 8.4 NAV screen if possible, it's awesome with the SIRIUS subscription. It shows local fuel prices, weather maps and reports, road conditions and more. The only bummer is that it's only 3G service with Bluetooth. I put over 10K miles on my car without a single problem. One thing to keep in mind is the previous owners "driving habits" whereas the transmission is/was used to the previous driver. Mine had a hard shift when I bought it and I had the transmission "reflashed" at the dealer and it now learned "my" driving habits and is much more smoother in shifting. It also handles like a fast GO-KART on steroids! Also, put it on a lift and look underneath it for leaks or damage. You should be FINE!!!! E N J O Y ! And yes, I would buy another one if I had to...….

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know how true this is, but supposedly all automakers have to keep parts available for 10 years after they quit making certain makes and models. So that should keep us 200 owners going till 2027 :)

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
I also want to point out if any parts are discontinued for the Chrysler 200, it would be body parts and interior etc... the engine and transmission live on in other FCA vehicles, all trim levels of the 200.

There is a large aftermarket for body/interior parts for cars over 10 years old. I can even find new parts for my 1998 Dodge Dakota - from CarID.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2015 200 9-speed (V4). It had about 50k LESS miles compared to a Hyaundai, Kia, or Honda so I took a chance. All is OK. It is more luxury and rides quieter than my wife’s Kia. However yes the transmission does act differently.

If I could do it over, I’d take my Hyundai back. It had over 200k miles running strong. (V6) I don’t think I’ll ever go Chrysler again. There’s just a reason why you don’t see many of them compared to other realizable cars. The service Dept is worse than Kia and Honda. I found that out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
A low mileage 2016 200 with the 3.6 engine under $15,000 is one of the best used car purchases you can make, IMO. The 16’s enjoy a depreciated value mostly based on earlier models and reported defects, yet rarely experience any more issues than most other vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a used 2015 200c AWD about 2.5 years ago. After 70K miles, I would buy it again. The car has good power and has been great in the Michigan winters.

I have averaged about 29 mpg in my normal driving and it is not unusual for me to hit 36+ mpg on longer trips.

The only major repair was the PTU replaced under warranty at about 80K miles. Otherwise, it has been a trouble free car, with a few quirks.

As someone mentioned earlier, I would look for a car with the 8.4 radio. This is the only item I wish my car had installed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have 95,000 miles and the V6 on my 13'. The only problem I had was a heater core and a/c condenser. If it didn't get cold where I live I wouldn't even have fixed the heater core. Still have original brakes. It'll definitely make 200,000 miles plus.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's been a long while since I have posting anything on the Forum. I believe the last time my wife and I were still living in Kentucky where I purchased my 2015 200C AWD. Now we have been living in Northern Utah (Higher elevation) for over 2 1/2 years.

I have put a lot more miles on it as I am now over 85,000. I have made two trips with it back home to Michigan at about 1,600 miles each way, and two trips down to Dallas and back at about the same distance. Other various road trips including to the Grand Canyon, St. George Utah, Moab, Idaho etc.

I haven't had any other major issues with my car since the transmission fiasco most of us are well aware of. As a result of that and because FCA didn't want to admit there was an issue for so long I ended up with a Lifetime, Unlimited Miles powertrain warranty from Mopar on my car.

Now I am looking to get my transmission fluid changed. Has anyone else done this service, or had it done yet? Did it go well? I have found out the O.E. fluid is about $32 per quart! Has anyone on here used the dealership for this service, did you do it yourself or did you find a local service station that you prefer over the dealership?

I still occasionally get the hesitation after I get in, place it into gear (D or R) and it starts to go, then acts like it pulls out of gear for a second then goes back into gear and starts to move again. I am hoping it's an electronic issue and not a mechanical one with the transmission.

The problem is taking it to the dealership is going to be worthless as it doesn't do it often and they are going to claim they can't duplicate the problem. The NEVER want to try to trace the issue with the computer and read the codes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The transmission fluid change is non servicable. Its sealed and doesnt need too be changed...supposed too last the life of the trans. The dealer should at least re-flash the PCM w any updated software if they havent all ready, or replace the trans now that you have that sweet warranty! Good luck

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
It's been a long while since I have posting anything on the Forum. I believe the last time my wife and I were still living in Kentucky where I purchased my 2015 200C AWD. Now we have been living in Northern Utah (Higher elevation) for over 2 1/2 years.

I have put a lot more miles on it as I am now over 85,000. I have made two trips with it back home to Michigan at about 1,600 miles each way, and two trips down to Dallas and back at about the same distance. Other various road trips including to the Grand Canyon, St. George Utah, Moab, Idaho etc.

I haven't had any other major issues with my car since the transmission fiasco most of us are well aware of. As a result of that and because FCA didn't want to admit there was an issue for so long I ended up with a Lifetime, Unlimited Miles powertrain warranty from Mopar on my car.

Now I am looking to get my transmission fluid changed. Has anyone else done this service, or had it done yet? Did it go well? I have found out the O.E. fluid is about $32 per quart! Has anyone on here used the dealership for this service, did you do it yourself or did you find a local service station that you prefer over the dealership?

I still occasionally get the hesitation after I get in, place it into gear (D or R) and it starts to go, then acts like it pulls out of gear for a second then goes back into gear and starts to move again. I am hoping it's an electronic issue and not a mechanical one with the transmission.

The problem is taking it to the dealership is going to be worthless as it doesn't do it often and they are going to claim they can't duplicate the problem. The NEVER want to try to trace the issue with the computer and read the codes.
If anything, you will probably create problems changing the transmission fluid. I am at 98K miles myself and had contemplated doing this, but seems to be a bad idea knowing that it wasn't designed to have a fluid change. It's not like the old cars.

Does the hesitation problem happen when the vehicle is cold - not at normal operating temp yet?

It's almost guaranteed to be a software issue - although I have to say, I have never had an issue with my transmission, my PTU however is a different story.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 45K miles

No issues whatsoever except AC blower because of the sound. Transmission jerking also.

Just stay away from 2015, don’t buy it. It’s considered the worst sedan vehicle of 2015 because of reliability issues.
However, They solved most of the problems by 2016

V6 is the way to go. It’s the best engine. It has less problem than 4 cylinders

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
I have 45K miles

No issues whatsoever except AC blower because of the sound. Transmission jerking also.

Just stay away from 2015, don’t buy it. It’s considered the worst sedan vehicle of 2015 because of reliability issues.

I'll disagree. The 2015 doesn't have reliability issues. Just some magazines claimed it did. Many posters on this forum have a 2015, including me. Many are at, or over 100K miles with no problems. Excellent car, providing all updates to the software were performed.

3.6 Pentastar is the way to go, but the 2.4 multi-air is an great choice too. I've seen 39 MPG on a road trip with ours.
Both engines are good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
0 Probs w my 2015.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
2105's are fine. V6 or 4cyl. I picked the Pentastar cause I am not as sensible as some people and I almost need that power, but either engine is fine. In fact the 4cyl in theory should be more reliable - general rule of thumb the more heat or power an engine makes, the less durable it becomes.

2015's also have a better warranty - granted it's almost over but still, 5 years 100K miles vs. 5 years 60K miles.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have 45K miles

Most of the issues on the 15 has been corrected by a proper re-pograming of the transmission. Along with few recalls to correct other issues. My 15 200C v6 fwd, built in July of 14 is now working better than it did when new. I nearly have 114k miles on this and fully expect going beyond 200k miles on this car.

Half the issues I actually had in my past, were dealer created. Not fixing the original issue properly or creating new issues that were not there. But it is a first year product, it's been my mistake to always buy first year vehicles and it typically does take a year or two to fix all issues on these cars before it becomes reliable. I've had similar issues on my Mazdas, Hondas and way more so on my (80's and 90's ) GM products.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Most of the issues on the 15 has been corrected by a proper re-pograming of the transmission. Along with few recalls to correct other issues. My 15 200C v6 fwd, built in July of 14 is now working better than it did when new. I nearly have 114k miles on this and fully expect going beyond 200k miles on this car.
Exactly. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with 2015s. Mine was built in June 2014. Only issues outside of recalls, have been noisy rear shocks and premature battery failure, which were taken care of under warranty. The early issues were all fixable, and in the vast majority of cases were fixed under warranty. Just check service history before buying one, to make sure the original owner took care of recalls and any issues that did come up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts