Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Chrysler 200 LX 4 Cylinders B 2.4L MFI SOHC 144 CID

I purchased this car with about 60K miles on it a month ago. The only issue I'm having is a loud, steady "resonating hum" between 15 and 30 MPH. What I can tell is it's constant whether I'm accelerating, slowing down, in neutral, changing gears, turning, going straight, on wet/cold/dry/warm concrete or blacktop roads. No matter what changes, the noise ramps up instantly right around 15 MPH and ramps down instantly right before 30 MPH. Prior to 15 and above 30 it's pretty quiet.

My gut says tires but they are brand new UNIROYAL Tiger Paw Touring A/S provided by the dealership. I know they are pretty inexpensive tires but I searched these forums for others using them and everybody seems happy. I've never experienced a sharp increase in volume at such low speeds, either.

I know diagnosing sounds, especially as general as I'm describing, without hearing them is difficult, but I'm looking for ideas to check out or test. Any and all ideas are really appreciated. I can provide a sample of the sound, if anybody would like to hear it.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
636 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Front or rear? Left or right? Locating the sound is the first step in diagnosis. Tires and wheel bearings would change in pitch according to speed, but usually be there over a wide range of speeds.
If it is only between 15 and 30 mph and of constant pitch, you might look for a loose or hanging underbody shield or panel that is vibrating in the wind?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd have to agree with your gut and say tires. I have the same tires on mine and get a similar noise from about 45-60. Mine are cupped due to bad rear struts (that have since been replaced), I just haven't replaced the tires as the noise is tolerable and they have hardly 30k on them. I'd check the inside of your tires and see if they have any signs of cupping/feathering or uneven wear. Also, might be worth checking the alignment to make sure everything is within spec. If none of the above applies it might be worth taking up a warranty claim with Uniroyal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts