Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loving my 200 up until a few months ago. I got a flat tire on my way to work and tried to change it. The lug wrench would not fit. I tried several different wrenches to no avail. Had to have it flat bedded to a tire place. I was told that the LugPosts, not nuts, swelled and had to be broken off. I had to spend $50.00 for new "Posts". The Tire guys told me this was a common problem. The heads/caps on the "posts" swell. I contacted my dealer, and was told that the tire guys were wrong. I contacted Chrysler and never received a return call. I let it go. A Few months later I notice a slight wobble at high way speed. I take it to the dealer and am told that the four rims are bent! I have the 19" Alloy wheels. This happened twice before where I had to have two rims replaced. Not only were the rims all bent ( I hardly drive the car, I now walk to work) but the lug posts had to be broken off! They Swelled!!! I was told that I would have to pay for at least two of the sets of Posts. I contacted Chrysler again to let them know of this defect and was basically told "Too Bad" you are out of warranty. On lugs? After I explained how dangerous this defect could be, not being able to change a tire, Vicky, the rep said just pay, its only $95. The rim issue is bad enough, but at least I purchased insurance on them. But the lugs? This is clearly a defect and nobody cares. If this is the way I am going to be treated by Chrysler, I will never purchase another vehicle from their company ever again. My family has been loyal to Jeep/Chrysler for 20+ years. No more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ouch, man! That's not good to hear at all. Luckily, when I got my flat I didn't have that issue. But, the factory scissor jack broke when my car was in the air. Luckily, there was enough tire still under the front of the wheel so it didn't get all bent up when it slammed on the ground. In that case, they replaced the jack. I'll never use it again though.

I don't see why they can't replace the lug studs. Warranty or not, it's a small cost. Especially since this has happened twice... Hopefully, you'll get something worked out!

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
You should contact Chrysler.

There are a few "public relations" people from FCA on the forum but - this isn't an "official Chrysler" forum FROM Chrysler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have found this to be a common problem with Chrysler vehicles. I've seen it most often on Jeeps. Rust starts under the chrome colored cap and swells it so you can't use the supplied lug wrench. The solution that usually gets you by is to have a socket one size larger than you should have to. If we're dealing with a 19mm normally you should keep a 20mm in the car if your lug caps are swelled at all. Usually the 20mm is just the right size to get the lug nuts turned out. Once they're off you can replace them with new lug nuts. Best of luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also have the 19" rims and honestly they are not very durable. I have cracked mine as well. It's doesn't help that the tires are low profile so there is very little rubber between the road and rim to protect it from bumps and pot holes. I would have preferred that they used an 18" rim with more rubber underneath.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I had my car for a couple of months when my daughter curb checked both front 18's, needless to say I was anxious to upgrade to my 245 45 18" BF G'S with side wall protection. Both front wheels were replaced after my accident in the snow, since the tire upgrade no more curb rash, and far less traction problems.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had my car for a couple of months when my daughter curb checked both front 18's, needless to say I was anxious to upgrade to my 245 45 18" BF G'S with side wall protection. Both front wheels were replaced after my accident in the snow, since the tire upgrade no more curb rash, and far less traction problems.
Same here, I went from 215 to 235 on my 17's (same height), and wheels are protected more since the tires are wider and I get more traction than before. All V-6 models should have come with 235 stock, not 215 for the C model.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wider does nothing for your rims. It;s the distance from the ground to the rim.

As you increase rim diameter, keeping the same tire diameter, you have to increase tire pressure to compensate. This makes the ride harsher and harsher as you increase rim diameter.

Fun part is going from say 17" to 19" does nothing for you or the car it's just cosmetic.

As for wider or narrower being better, it depends on what you do. Wider gives you more surface area which is good on dry pavement, but not as good in snow, ice or heavy rain. There is a whole school of math for figuring out footprint vs pounds per square inch on varying types of terrain.

People get things in their head and run them to the extreme, at great expense and for little to no reason.

Unless you are planning to road race at speed over 100mph there is very little reason to change rim size, or ride height, or other mods like that.

Cold air intakes (on modern cars) rarely actually add any improvement. My mid size 4dr 200 gets 45-50mpg Hwy now, how much improvement do you expect tossing on an after market air cleaner?

On my Monte Carlo, at the finish line, around 112Mph, the Cowl Induction is adding maybe 1-1.5psi 'turbo' boost.

If you want a race car, you can build them far better and cheaper than buying a newish car and trying to 'mod' it with gimmicks and bolt ons.

With Demons, Hellcats, Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes roaming around, no one is going to be impressed with your 200 unless you twin turbo it and run it on alcohol.

·
Registered
659 Posts

As you increase rim diameter, keeping the same tire diameter, you have to increase tire pressure to compensate. This makes the ride harsher and harsher as you increase rim diameter.

Fun part is going from say 17" to 19" does nothing for you or the car it's just cosmetic.

As for wider or narrower being better, it depends on what you do. Wider gives you more surface area which is good on dry pavement, but not as good in snow, ice or heavy rain. There is a whole school of math for figuring out footprint vs pounds per square inch on varying types of terrain.

People get things in their head and run them to the extreme, at great expense and for little to no reason.

Unless you are planning to road race at speed over 100mph there is very little reason to change rim size, or ride height, or other mods like that.

Cold air intakes (on modern cars) rarely actually add any improvement. My mid size 4dr 200 gets 45-50mpg Hwy now, how much improvement do you expect tossing on an after market air cleaner?

On my Monte Carlo, at the finish line, around 112Mph, the Cowl Induction is adding maybe 1-1.5psi 'turbo' boost.

If you want a race car, you can build them far better and cheaper than buying a newish car and trying to 'mod' it with gimmicks and bolt ons.

With Demons, Hellcats, Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes roaming around, no one is going to be impressed with your 200 unless you twin turbo it and run it on alcohol.
Whatever you say!

Reactions: Sleeper200c

·
Registered
490 Posts

Thanks Crazcnuk for the refresher on tire sizes etc.... I agree w Mr Vegas that putting wider tires on a narrow rim, the tire will stick out a little and give some rim protection from curbs. I changed my 215/55 to 225/50 cause I like too drive aggressively. (when I can) and far as the snow...yes theyre not as good but I can handle it. Plus I have a Jeep! (2016 Wrangler Wifeys ride). As far as a 200 being a race car, we all know thats not the case. I did my mods so it runs better (which it does) and I can have some fun. The speed limiter kicks in way too soon on this car and just disableing that made a big difference. Have fun

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, although I wouldn't say it does nothing for your rims.

When people think they are going wider, they are actually also going taller.

I understand the thinking behind having wider tires for a "lip" that sticks past the rim - I was thinking of getting Cherokee 18" for my 200 cause they are thinner width rims, but when you go wider than stock size for tire, you are also going taller... aspect ratio.... 45% of 235 vs. 45% of 245... you went taller. It's the height more than the width.

Keep in mind the tire is flexible and the car is heavy. If you bump a curb it's the height of the tire protecting it not just the lip or width. If you have ever seen a car during a hard corner, you will see the sidewall flex dramatically. The rim sticks out.

I forgot to add that speed is relative. Anyone with $$$ can buy a Hellcat or Tesla. Also, dime a dozen Mustang or Camaro who's impressed with that? There's also ALWAYS someone faster. Ex... sportbike... whatever.

I get the rant but it's all about fun and enjoying your car right? There is never an ROI for buying a car in the first place. Never going to be an ROI or much of one doing a modification either. It's about enjoying your car, at least it is for me. I enjoy mine and I am impressed with it's sleeper acceleration every time I mash the throttle. Especially if I occasionally do something like leave an import driver in my mirror. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I enjoy mine and I am impressed with it's sleeper acceleration every time I mash the throttle. Especially if I occasionally do something like leave an import driver in my mirror. :)
What I enjoy is being able to do a hard acceleration in the rain without having any tire spin, while the guy beside me in the FWD or RWD has his tires spin like crazy when he tries to challenge me.

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is not a defect but a dangerous design flaw. Not just Dodge/Chrysler but also affects any carmaker using these type of lugs that have metal caps over the nut. Examples include Toyota, GM and Ford. I did not want any member of my family to get stranded with a flat tire if the supplied wrench could not fit on a "swollen" lug so I went on Ebay and bought solid metal lug nuts to fit all of the family cars.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It is not a defect but a dangerous design flaw. Not just Dodge/Chrysler but also affects any carmaker using these type of lugs that have metal caps over the nut. Examples include Toyota, GM and Ford. I did not want any member of my family to get stranded with a flat tire if the supplied wrench could not fit on a "swollen" lug so I went on Ebay and bought solid metal lug nuts to fit all of the family cars.
Good Idea. Mine still looking good but they will now be inspected regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Crazcnuk for the refresher on tire sizes etc.... I agree w Mr Vegas that putting wider tires on a narrow rim, the tire will stick out a little and give some rim protection from curbs. I changed my 215/55 to 225/50 cause I like too drive aggressively. (when I can) and far as the snow...yes theyre not as good but I can handle it. Plus I have a Jeep! (2016 Wrangler Wifeys ride). As far as a 200 being a race car, we all know thats not the case. I did my mods so it runs better (which it does) and I can have some fun. The speed limiter kicks in way too soon on this car and just disableing that made a big difference. Have fun
Me too! Still waiting on overkill for my tune, not sure what's up with him, but my HP suite is a perperweight for now. But even just the exhaust notes and intake noise make the car so much more fun. I hate when people have to bag on other people's projects, like have fun with the platform you've got, some of us can't just go buy a 6.4 HEMI today! So we mod. And you can tell 45-50mpg is the 2.4L... the 3.6 is actually surprisingly quick, I've smoked a few cars that thought they had it, never a Z06 of course, but decent "quick-ish cars". Me and my buddy used to have a blast every day with his civic si and my 2013 3.6 (usually pulling ahead). WRX's beware, they can get got. I'm glad you're out there having fun too! Here's to the modders!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts