Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finding out about this recall that affects certain Chrysler / FCA models with the 2.4 engine.
I found on-line the recall was issued in January 2012 for this issue on several vehicles.
It appears mine, 2015 200 with the 2.4 is now included.
The claim made by Chrysler is about excessive oil consumption on certain 2.4 engines.
I believe there were some complaints here with folks talking about adding oil between changes.

Link to the Jeep recall by the same campaign number. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10187102-9999.pdf

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got mine done last week. Still wondering if they will ever fix that emission recall, or just pay us money!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,324 Posts
The Canadian-only recall involving possible cat overheating?
I think that fix was included in the latest PCM software update:
  • **Min spark changes to prevent catalytic converter overheating.
  • Revisions to transmission calibration to prevent catalytic converter overheat.**

The 2.4L has MultiAir for variable valve lift, in addition to the variable valve timing. If oil pressure fails, it can cause stalling as the valve actuators are hydraulic and depend on good oil pressure. An unexpected stall can be a safety issue.
The new software should decrease oil consumption on decel by not pulling motor oil up past the piston rings. These are low-tension rings to reduce the drag of friction losses, reduce wear and improve fuel economy. That, and the thin 0W-20 motor oil required for fast hydraulic action, caused an oil consumption issue in some (not all) vehicles.
The new software prevents a large low-pressure from developing in the cylinder on decel. You may or may not sense any change in engine braking.
Adjusting the software afforded a simple, non-invasive fix for a mechanical concern.

Attachments

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just finding out about this recall that affects certain Chrysler / FCA models with the 2.4 engine.
I found on-line the recall was issued in January 2012 for this issue on several vehicles.
It appears mine, 2015 200 with the 2.4 is now included.
The claim made by Chrysler is about excessive oil consumption on certain 2.4 engines.
I believe there were some complaints here with folks talking about adding oil between changes.

Link to the Jeep recall by the same campaign number. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10187102-9999.pdf
Hi fltru103,
Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding completing your recall.

Rob
Chrysler Cares

Reactions: 200_S_AWD

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
152 Posts
The Canadian-only recall involving possible cat overheating?
I think that fix was included in the latest PCM software update:
  • **Min spark changes to prevent catalytic converter overheating.
  • Revisions to transmission calibration to prevent catalytic converter overheat.**

The 2.4L has MultiAir for variable valve lift, in addition to the variable valve timing. If oil pressure fails, it can cause stalling as the valve actuators are hydraulic and depend on good oil pressure. An unexpected stall can be a safety issue.
The new software should decrease oil consumption on decel by not pulling motor oil up past the piston rings. These are low-tension rings to reduce the drag of friction losses, reduce wear and improve fuel economy. That, and the thin 0W-20 motor oil required for fast hydraulic action, caused an oil consumption issue in some (not all) vehicles.
The new software prevents a large low-pressure from developing in the cylinder on decel. You may or may not sense any change in engine braking.
Adjusting the software afforded a simple, non-invasive fix for a mechanical concern.
200_S_AWD
From reading your posts here it looks like you are a Chrysler tech...
I have a 2016 Chrysler 200s with the 2.4l engine and have also received the Recall/Satisfaction Notification notice... I do not have an oil consumption problem with this car (just turned 50k miles) and run Valvoline Full Synthetic ... Is this recall something I should have addressed as a preventive measure? Rings do wear with mileage and this software upgrade may serve to prevent premature oil consumption as the miles increase? Maybe ChryslerCares can chime in on this also...
Thanks Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
Actually the majority of them don't have any oil consumption issues. If you have 50K miles and no problems so far, you probably won't have any oil consumption problem at all in the future.
I am a big advocate for running the latest and greatest software. I have not heard of any drawbacks from the latest version.
It's up to you, personally I would want the update completed and off my mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our 200 has always used oil. I didn't consider it a problem as there were no leaks, no smoke and the car ran fine.
Consumption has always ranged in 1 to 2 quarts between changes that range up to 7500 miles.
That being said, I will have this update done. What could it hurt ? I have over 123,000 miles and can't complain with the economy or the performance of our car. Think I'll keep it a while longer.

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
Using 1 or 2 quarts every 7500 miles would be considered 'healthy'.
There are many variables that affect oil consumption: the type of driving, the prevailing climate, the quality of motor oil, the altitude, manufacturing tolerances, defective/aftermarket PCV valves, the gasoline quality and many other factors.

Get the new and improved software update done, it won't hurt anything, onward and upwards I always say.

Chrysler engines have usually had good oil control. The Mitsubishi 3.0L (esp. minivans) of years past could leave a cloud of blue smoke at a stoplight. That was mostly from the rubber valve stem seals hardening. Any small amount of oil smoke from burning oil should be incinerated in a good, working catalyst.

I have replaced rings and honed cylinders in 10K mile engines. Rings were fine, sometimes the gaps were lined up and every other ring had to be rotated 180º. Breaking the 'glaze' on the cylinder wall allowed the rings to seat against the cylinder wall after a normal break-in of about 6K miles and reduce oil consumption.

This is a TSB (attached) released from Stellantis/FCA offering guidelines to the dealership on 'allowable' consumption rates.
As an old mechanic once told me, "At least you know the oil is getting up there".

·
Registered
541 Posts
200_S_AWD
From reading your posts here it looks like you are a Chrysler tech...
I have a 2016 Chrysler 200s with the 2.4l engine and have also received the Recall/Satisfaction Notification notice... I do not have an oil consumption problem with this car (just turned 50k miles) and run Valvoline Full Synthetic ... Is this recall something I should have addressed as a preventive measure? Rings do wear with mileage and this software upgrade may serve to prevent premature oil consumption as the miles increase? Maybe ChryslerCares can chime in on this also...
Thanks Dave
Hi Daves200s,
The oil consumption is caused from a vacuum being created in cylinders during deceleration. The Vacuum draws oil into the cylinder from the sump. The software changes these events, internal to engine, that lead to creation of the vacuum.

Rob
Chrysler Cares

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow up on the recall work.
Took the 200 to my dealer and asked first how much they would charge me to update all the modules in the car. They connected via the OBD port and said I had two different sets of updates besides the recall.
I did ask if this recall update included all previous updates combined. The service advisor wasn't sure.
I was quoted $270 for the updates. I told them to go ahead because to date, this car has been problem free and hasn't cost anything to maintain except for oil, filters, brakes and tires.
After 15 minutes the service advisor came out and told me that the recall did include all updates, including the TCM and a quick learn procedure.
It wouldn't cost me anything.
I drove it 10 miles and can't really say for sure I notice any difference. I'll know more after driving it cold.

A tip of the hat to the tech and service advisor for their honesty.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a short ride today I must say I can't tell any difference.
Still have the harsh 4-5 shift. The slow roll downshift to first also the same.
Glad I didn't pay anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
I hate to say it, but you might want to return to the dealer and have them check for a harsh 4-5 upshift and a 2-1 downshift 'bump'. It really should do neither.

Have the quicklearn re-performed and have the tech turn the TCM PROXI off, then back on again. My PROXI wasn't 'missing' either (as described in the article), but cycling the presence of the TCM on the bus worked. The dealer had never heard of this article before.

The quicklearn steps must be done in order and it pays about 25 minutes of flat rate time. You can't short-cut the procedures:

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I felt I have given this update enough time to comment.

I have printed a copy of the Allpar article and the TSB and will take it the dealer on my next visit.
The only observations I am sure of is that my car gets worst fuel mileage.
While we are in the summer heat, and it's been especially hot lately, I have lost over 2 mpg since the update.
I can live with that if I saw other improvements. I haven't, so I'll make another appointment to see the dealer and ask them to turn the TCM PROXI off, then back on again.
I'll follow up later on this.

·
Registered
541 Posts

I have printed a copy of the Allpar article and the TSB and will take it the dealer on my next visit.
While we are in the summer heat, and it's been especially hot lately, I have lost over 2 mpg since the update.
I can live with that if I saw other improvements. I haven't, so I'll make another appointment to see the dealer and ask them to turn the TCM PROXI off, then back on again.
Hi fltru103,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Chrysler Cares

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Going to reply to my own comment.
I have not had the time to take my car back to the dealer.
The fuel mileage seems to have been related to the extreme heat we were having on the east coast. Apparently my car doesn't like excessive heat, or cold. The fuel mileage has inched back to near normal.
The shifting has not improved.
The final note, after continuously the checking oil, I have found consumption has improved. After 3000 miles on this oil change, I have not added any oil. The oil appears cleaner.

Someday I will return to the dealer and attempt to get the proxi turned off and on again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi fltru103,
Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding completing your recall.

Rob
Chrysler Cares

I saw you respond to someone’s comment about the 2015 Chrysler 200s recall. Hoping you can help. I had that recall fixed 1.5 weeks ago and I’ve had tons of issues since then. Code p1634 is now popping up. Can you please explain why

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
Welcome to the forums. P1634 is addressed in TSB # 21-001-18C. It is a transaxle controller software update (see Symptom/Condition for possible false fault codes), if this hasn't already been done:

Have them perform a Quicklearn and check for any other modules that might have a pending update while the tool is connected to the car. You want the latest and greatest software installed.

The only Possible Cause of a P1634 is the TCM (hopefully the flash will fix it):

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. P1634 is addressed in TSB # 21-001-18C. It is a transaxle controller software update (see Symptom/Condition for possible false fault codes), if this hasn't already been done:

Have them perform a Quicklearn and check for any other modules that might have a pending update while the tool is connected to the car. You want the latest and greatest software installed.

The only Possible Cause of a P1634 is the TCM (hopefully the flash will fix it):

View attachment 57970
I found that this is a recall but for some reason my car specifically doesn’t have that recall. Do we have any idea why? They want to charge me anywhere from $200 to a couple thousand. At this point I’m gonna trade my car in for something different which bums me out since I just paid my car off

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
The W84 is a recall, the TSB #21-001-18C isn't. What year & engine is your car?
The P1634 is seemingly unrelated to the recall, although I agree that it should have been done at the time of the recall. The recall wouldn't cause P1634.

What other issues are you having? Anything electrical that might steer us to the true culprit?
What is the last 8 of the VIN and your mileage?
If it is a 2015, has it had the transaxle wiring (R24 or S55) recall?
2015 also had an extended warranty on certain transaxle issues.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I found that this is a recall but for some reason my car specifically doesn’t have that recall. Do we have any idea why? They want to charge me anywhere from $200 to a couple thousand. At this point I’m gonna trade my car in for something different which bums me out since I just paid my car off
Hi Heatherstarr11,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Chrysler Cares

1 - 20 of 20 Posts