Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just noticed the wet carpet under the mats front and back on the driver's side only. A few months ago the dealer replaced the heater core but if they forgot to get the AC drain put back properly, it seems like this might be more water than it could produce but maybe not. We also have a sun roof. Calling the dealer in the morning. Anyone else had this issue ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
if it is the sunroof the tubes could be clogged, and they might have to blow them out, or replaced. That was the case for mine but it would only leak my the controls up top and down the sides of the posts..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They said sunroof drains were clogged and they cleaned them out. So far it has stayed dry. We had watched for water from the AC drain before we took it in. It seems to be pouring out now. How would the sunroof drains get clogged if it is never open ?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Not sure, I've only had one car that had a moonroof and that was about the only spot that didn't leak so long as I left it closed.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Could not be the sunroof drains. They run down the windhield pillars.
Yup!, And that's the problem.
Mine were "pinched", right from the factory, and caused a water buildup on the floor mats. The door pillar on the drivers side (that the drain runs down) was also wet.
As soon as they replaced the drain hose the problem was solved, and everythings been dry ever since!
As soon as I read this I knew right away that there was a "sunroof" involved!
Glad to hear everything is OK now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem, only difference, I don't have a sunroof, after my heater core was replaced the driver's side,front and rear were soaked,the a/c drain is behind a small panel to the right of the accelerator pedal,dealership had not put it back properly,there is a bunch of water that come's out of the a/c drain in a big hurry

·
Registered
2 Posts
They said sunroof drains were clogged and they cleaned them out. So far it has stayed dry. We had watched for water from the AC drain before we took it in. It seems to be pouring out now. How would the sunroof drains get clogged if it is never open ?
wow chrysler needs to get it *hit together with its sunroof leaks. it seams EVERY chrysler vehicle leaks. granted the end of the tube gets clogged because of some stupid oneway valve, but the tubes themselves are big around as your finger and corrugated. the point is water SHOULDNT get past the seal!!! I have a Jeep Patriot with this issue. actually I didnt leak for 3 years, I think the material breaks down on the seal. after a year of trying multiple fixes for a year, I just went and bought a new seal problem solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just noticed the wet carpet under the mats front and back on the driver's side only. A few months ago the dealer replaced the heater core but if they forgot to get the AC drain put back properly, it seems like this might be more water than it could produce but maybe not. We also have a sun roof. Calling the dealer in the morning. Anyone else had this issue ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the same problem water inside footwell 😔 I bought my car new 3 years ago and they still can’t find the reason for the leak. I love my car but at this point I might have to get rid of it if the carpet and inside her too ugly and molded

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,156 Posts
Welcome to the forums. What year? Do you have receipts for water leak repairs within the past year?
Always diagnose first.
Where does the water seem to be coming in? Cowls and HVAC housings are common leakers. Leaves can plug drains and cause water to overflow into the car. Do you see drips hanging anywhere? Is it just the front carpet?
Once a carpet begins to stink, the seats, console and belts have to come out. Sometimes I have been able to wash the carpet on the lawn and let it dry on a railing in the sun. Murphy's oil soap is a nice smell (to me anyways).
I had a Neon that was given to me after it drove off the pier into Braddock bay. It was running and left in drive. I got an good matching carpet and seats out of a salvage Neon. Seat cushions can absorb odors over time, hard plastic trim doesn't.
A wet or humid interior can eventually cause corrosion and electrical problems can begin.
An interior can be removed with hand tools and the drivers seat put back in in an afternoon. Having the drivers seat will allow limited use of the car while things are procured or washed and dried.
The jute felt backing under the carpet is what stinks the worst. I have left them out and just reinstalled the carpet for my own car.
Chrysler might buy you a carpet if it isn't too far out of warranty and the car has been in the shop for unresolved water leaks before while still under warranty.
Cars that are parked under trees have a hard time. Drains in the cowl and rockers must be kept clear or water will back up and soak the carpet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts