Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 Chrysler 200 it has 49,000 miles on it I bought it last year with 35,000 miles and drive for Uber on the weekends in Palm Springs and consistently drive around small town where there are lots of stops and speed limit doesn’t go over 45 anyway when I am accelerating the car as it hits 28 mph it does a jump things like a obvious noise and An actual flight jerking feeling. it only does this as I am driving up to 28 miles an hour past not when the car is slowing down from driving above 28 miles an hour been decreasing so I think that would be called upshifting I don’t know I’m not really knowledgeable when it comes to cars. I just don’t have a lot of money and I’m not sure if I should bring this to the dealer Or like a local Mexican mechanic that I used to go to. Has anybody else have this problem or any ideas on what could be causing it?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It does sound like a harsh upshift issue. Is this a 2.4L 4-cyl? You want to make sure that the PCM/TCM is at the latest & greatest software release:

Font Parallel Number Screenshot

After the flash, have them perform a Quicklearn:
Font Number Screenshot Parallel

To complete the service, have the PROXI reset (this involves toggling the PROXI off, then back on):
Font Document Screenshot Publication Number

If this car is still under the 8yr/80K mile Extended Federal emissions warranty or if the car is eligible for Recall W20 & the PCM hasn't been updated yet, have that done also. The recall was released in 2021 and should include all the improvements listed in the 2017 TSB below that :
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Circle

Font Number Document Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. Anychance you have a ballpark estimate on why it costs to Have the updates and quick learn reset and is the Chrysler dealership the only place that can make sure the computer is updated?I am Going to do exactly what you said above

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
The PCM W20 or U90 (if eligible) recall is free if it hasn't been done yet. The PCM (powertrain/engine control module) update is free if the in-service date is less than 8 years ago (you are still under 80K miles).
The TCM (transaxle control module) isn't involved with emissions and this operation may or may not be covered. It shares the same housing as the PCM.

Most dealers work with a minimum charge (also called a diagnostic fee) of 1 hr labor. No parts are required for these updates or the quicklearn. Around here, the labor rate varies between about $100-$150 per hour.
The service advisor at the service desk will explain the shop policies & procedures before (or during) the repair order write-up.
They should be able to do all of this within 1 hr. If for some unknown reason it goes over an hour or parts are required, they should stop, draw up an estimate and contact you for an approval. At this time you also have an option of declining further work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to the dealership paid $165 for the transmission tech to check it out and the software update.I was told I need new engine mounts which makes no sense since the problem happens when driving at 28mph and dosnt occur every single time it’s driven so I am hesitant to spend $1800 on mounts if it’s not related to the hard shift I was told by another mechanic that the mounts would not have to do with hardshifting.I drove the car back from dealership after software update which made no difference.I am taking the car into another mechanic to see if the mounts need to be replaced as it would be cheaper to have non dealership work done however I just worry that because the car doesn’t do it every time I am driving the dealership tech isn’t aware of the specific problem as I wasn’t able to talk to the guy that actually performed the diagnostic And test drive only the counter person who had an attitude and really didn’t explain anything nor was able to confirm technician encountered the problem I brought it in for while test driving it.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Maybe talk to a different service advisor or to the service manager?
You already paid your diagnostic fee (admission) and being that it is the same problem, you can ask if they they can 'waive' the fee for another chance at it?

It is important to do a Quicklearn & PROXI after the update. Were these done? I still had an occasionally harsh 4-5 upshift until I asked for the PROXI to be done. Honestly, the technician had never heard of having to do this & when we looked at the PROXI configuration on the scan tool, it was all there with no problems reported.
He then got an idea to 'toggle' the PROXIs 'off', then back 'on' again. That must have been it, as the transaxle has shifted perfectly ever since. See post #2. Share it with the advisor or technician?

If you start out from a stop, count the shifts as the car speeds up. If the 'bump' is at the 4th to 5th gear shift, that is what I had & one of the concerns that the TCM update addresses.

As for the mounts, I would get a second opinion. They 'cushion' the engine/transaxle against the body and dampen most vibration & mechanical shock. As the rubber settles & ages, it can lose its cushioning & eventually make metal-to-metal contact with the body. But why would it happen at 28 mph and not at other times?

Taxi duty is rough work for any vehicle. Maintenance intervals come up fast. You depend on the car and the car depends on you.
A transaxle fluid change to fresh ZF Lifeguard 8/9 may be appropriate at some point. Note if the old fluid contains any darkened color or clutch material and establish a baseline for wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts