Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my alternator and dont know where its at lol.... also how do i remove my radiator too...?

thank you so much =)

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Not being a smart a**, but if you can't locate the alternator, then how can you trust your diagnosis that it is bad ?
The battery's are known for being critical to a fully functioning electrical system in these cars.
Have you eliminated all the obvious problem areas first before deciding on the alternator ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being a smart a**, but if you can't locate the alternator, then how can you trust your diagnosis that it is bad ?
The battery's are known for being critical to a fully functioning electrical system in these cars.
Have you eliminated all the obvious problem areas first before deciding on the alternator ?
i got into an accident i rear ended someone and while i drive my car will make a squeek noise then my voltage will drop and everything will stop working while im driving then squeek again then goes back up to 14 volts then back down again then dies =(

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
i got into an accident i rear ended someone and while i drive my car will make a squeek noise then my voltage will drop and everything will stop working while im driving then squeek again then goes back up to 14 volts then back down again then dies =(
What you told me is not a diagnosis of a bad alternator.
Anything from a pinched wire to a bad battery could cause those conditions. The cooling fan could be causing the noise, the voltage drop could be the battery, the engine dying could be anything. Don't throw parts at a repair job. Electrical items are generally non-returnable. So make your diagnosis count and install only what the car needs.
In my opinion, have it checked by a reputable mechanic for a professional diagnosis.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The squeak could be the serpentine belt slipping and gripping. If this just happened after the accident, look for anything that may be interfering with the belt path.
I would avoid driving the car until it can be checked out. Sorry to hear of the accident. 🙁

·
Registered
619 Posts
Check YouTube, regardless, those V6's are a nightmare to work on this car, no room for nothing, and engine is mounted sideways because it's fwd, which makes a bad situation much worse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If the radiator support has been pushed back from the impact, it may make alternator access very difficult. If you raise the car, use jackstands and chock the wheels.
The RF wheel, belly pan and inner fender shield can be removed for access. See how you can get at it from below and above. Disconnect the negative battery cable while working around the alternator.
Release the fuel line pressure. Remove the air cleaner and hose. Unbolt the A/C compressor and set it aside. The alternator is mounted above the A/C compressor. Disconnect the wiring from the alternator. Remove the alternator mounting bolts.
Support the engine and remove the upper engine mount. Disconnect the fuel lines and position the engine up or down slightly to slip the alternator out from between the body and crossmember.

·
Registered
347 Posts
...and if you need to change the radiator, the entire nose of the car has too come off. BK did it...theres a thread here somewhere. The radiator support isnt easily accessible if you were planning too pull it. Sounds like it needs a Body shop tech.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
...and if you need to change the radiator, the entire nose of the car has too come off. BK did it...theres a thread here somewhere.
New cars are awful to work on.

Here's the thread Sleeper200c is talking about: Radiator

1 - 11 of 11 Posts