Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The digital dashboard compass on my 2012 200 convertible limited does not work. I believe the module is just not getting power. In any case, they're cheap enough to get on ebay, so I could replace it.

But...

I can't find the **** thing. I was under the impression that it was in the dashboard somewhere, but I spent the whole **** day tearing that thing apart looking for it and no luck :(

Anyone have any idea where the thing is located?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
914 Posts
The RCM (remote compass module) is mounted under the dashtop panel.
(keep magnets away).
For cars with a NAV radio, the compass is internal to the radio's GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so that means you lose that function with an aftermarket head unit, I am assuming. Do you happen to have any wiring diagrams that say which wires provide the compass signal?

(Yes, I know it's complicated. I'm completely willing to build a canbus emulator from scratch if I have to.)

I'd really need to know how thje whole thing is wired into the system. I'd prefer to use my own head unit, so now I need to figure out how to splice the wiring from a non-nav head unit compass module into the system...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I'm now thinking that the ones with a non nav unit either come with a different harness or a different evic controller or something?

In either case,I'm anal about these things. I'd like to have my own aftermarket infotainment system but I don't want two lines for my compass, so what parts am I going to need? I may need to just find a junk yard who will let me pull what I need to. Either that or build some kind of encoder

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like there is a way it can be wired directly into the EVIC connector. Goddamnit, I'd give my right arm for them to just give me the full schematics.

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
The LIN bus shows the cluster (CCN) and RCM (CM) on the same sub-harness. I'm not well-versed in changing out modules, etc to get desired functions and I would never try this on a customer car without a signed liability-release form. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a great deal of effort, I think I found the connector where the signal from the module gets input and put onto the bus, but I'm not sure which wires it is. Does anyone have a picture of the compass module hooked up with the wiring? IF I could see the color codes on the wires coming out of the compass module, I'd at least have some idea if I was on the right track.

Anyone? I've only been able to find one picture that shows the wiring at all, and I can't tell if there is any kind of striping on the harness wires from the compass module.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a new module on ebay (well it is used) and I have a hunch I know how it is hooked up.

Can anyone help me find the name of the connector? It is similar to other connectors on Chrysler's. It's just a keyed connector with room for 4 pins but only 3 in use.

I'd REALY APPRECIATE help just finding the proper connector. A pic would be great too, because that gives m,e a starting point to figure out the wiring. If I can even just get a pic of the wire colors, that probably me know which one is ground, which would be a start.

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
The diagnostic procedures for U0161 - 'Lost Communication with Compass module' shows the connectors, cavity #'s and wire colors. If you go through with this, let us know if it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Unfortunately, due to numerous commitments, I will need to wait until at least next weekend to do this. Do you happen to know if the actual connector has a name or a part number? Trackinmg down that connector is job 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts