Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 3.6 235/45/18. Canada.
When replacing my brakes yesterday I noticed that my summer tires are getting down there. Time to consider replacing them. The car came with the Bridgestone Ecopias. I already have a winter set but now I'm looking to replace the summer ones... do I use the Ecopias again or are there any better recommendations?
I have to say here that I don't drive my car aggressively and considering that I only have approximately 30000 kms on the tires I would have thought that they would have lasted longer than that.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
641 Posts
After I purchased my 'S' with the same size tires as yours, I rotated them. It looks like the previous owner had never rotated them during the lease period.
I also went for a 4 wheel alignment as all 4 tires seemed to be wearing prematurely at 30K km (18K miles).
Both front and rear alignments were in the red when first put on the machine. The technician adjusted everything to the specified numbers.
That would explain a lot about the tire wear. It drove much nicer after that, but the tires were still beat with some cold tire shake in the rear and general highway tire noise from minor cupping.
I'm getting new tires before the snow flies and ordered a set of Mastercraft Stratus by Cooper. I am going to get the road force balance and match mounting done as well. New tires should be a vast improvement in ride and quietness.

·
Super Moderator
2,616 Posts
My original tires wore out quickly as well same as yours, same size, the Ecopias, rotated and balanced regularly.

I would highly recommend Michelin Primacy or Michelin Pilot's if cost isn't a big factor. The tires come with roadside service from Michelin. Michelin tires are about the best you can buy in my opinion, expensive yes but you are getting what you pay for. My $.02.

Reactions: fltru103

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
I'll second the motion on getting Michelin tires. We are on the second set of them. Our car came with the Kumho tires that were noisy and wore out fast.
Costco has some good sales on Michelin tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was not impressed with the Ecopia tires. I felt like they were starting to go around 22k miles. I replaced them with some Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires with great results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my car with about 18K on it and the Ecopias tires...the tires were nice and evenly worn, and all pretty much shot...I was afraid to take them past 25K and replaced them at the point with Michelin Defenders that I got at Costco.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The factory tires tend to be low treadlife tires. My car came with the Nexens and those wore out relatively quickly too. I agree with everyone that's reccomending Michelin tires. I replaced the Nexens with Michelin Primacys and have been happy with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would highly recommend Michelin Primacy or Michelin Pilot's if cost isn't a big factor. The tires come with roadside service from Michelin. Michelin tires are about the best you can buy in my opinion, expensive yes but you are getting what you pay for. My $.02.
I put the Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my '15 S 2.4 and couldn't be happier. I've rotated them a couple time and no leaks, no noticeable wear after 15k mile and don't get stuck just at the hint of snow like those dang Kumho Solus tires did. If I ever get another new vehicle, the dealer will change the OEM tires out for Michelins first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm running Michelin MXM4 also. I bought them from 4wheelonline last month. These tires are good in terms of dry/wet grip, noise and handling. Maybe the only con is the price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While I don't have this tire size, the General Altimax RT43s used on one of our other cars (2011 Taurus Limited) have around 35K on them and they are still in the green zone (though these are H rated vs. the V rated for the 200). They have decent handling, quiet, great traction in bad weather by midwestern U.S. standards (literally drove 350 miles in the midst of snow and wintery mix while we saw suvs, trucks, minivans, and cars spinning out around us), no problems in heavy rain all for a decent price.

They replaced a set of Michelin Primacy 4MXM, they lasted around 45K, they were LOUD, dry rotting, were rough, and expensive; however, they were decent in bad weather and handled nicely. A decent tire but not worth the money in my opinion.

Coopers also are also a good bet. Had lots of vehicles with CS4s and CS5 Grand Tourings (haven't used the Ultra Touring version yet). The versions I have used lasted close to their rated treadlife, were quiet, handled well, got me through bad weather, and were reasonably priced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts