Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site.

I have a 2015 (bought it new) 200c AWD with the V6 and the horrible 9 speed ZF transmission. My local dealer applied TSB 21-001-18 REV. C to the car on 9-30-2020 because of the 4 to 5 gear slam shift and poor shift quality between other gear shifts. NOTE: this TSB does not require the PROXI Configuration Alignment.

There has been no major work done to the car, just the usual oil & filter changes.

The car shifted smooth until somewhere in Sep/Oct of 2022, then the transmission started slamming into 5 gear and the poor shifting quality returned.

Would a PROXI Configuration Alignment help or cure the problem?

I was thinking of getting AlfaOBD along with ODBLink MX+ and doing the PROXI Configuration Alignment myself from my android cell phone.

Does the AlfaOBD ever leave the car undrivable?

This is my wife’s car and if the AlfaOBD PROXI Configuration Alignment screws up, I am in big trouble.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had an occasional very harsh 4-5 upshift. It happened mostly when the car was carrying some weight.
One time when cresting a hill, it slammed hard into 5th. I had to glance in the rear-view mirror to make sure I hadn't been rear-ended. :oops:

I had the TSB done. After that I had the Quicklearn performed. The Quicklearn teaches the TCM the clutch fill times (in msecs) so it will know how long to expect a turning element to achieve complete engagement.
Font Brand Logo Number Graphics

I have included the 21-001-18C below & nowhere do I see that the TSB does not require the PROXI to be done.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

Rectangle Handwriting Font Magenta Smile

From Allpar:
"Some readers have reported rough shifting after work was done on their car. This may not be a bad transmission, but a missed step in the repair: skipping the “PROXI alignment,” which updates information in all the car’s systems.

Matthew Libanio, for example, had his TCM (transmission control module) updated; the dealership did a “quick learn,” but failed to do the PROXI alignment, apparently through confusion, resulting in poor shifting.PROXI integrates the car’s many computers, from navigation to the transmission. One technician wrote, “PROXI alignment is required when a module is replaced, or, in this case, the transmission bangs into gear something fierce. It does make a big difference.” One telltale (though it may not always appear) is a blinking odometer.

An FCA spokesman wrote, “It's called out in the service instructions. Skipping the procedure is not an option. We encourage customers to contact the company directly if they have concerns, at 1-877-IAM-JEEP (426-5337); 1-888-CIAO-FIAT (242-6342); or 1-800-CHRYSLER (247-9753).”

Dealership have a great deal of data on how to repair cars, but sometimes a rule is skipped by mistake or, in the case of independent garages and DIY repair, because people are unaware it’s needed or don’t have the right tool. However, this is a key step which can be mistaken for a bad transmission, especially as these cars age".

My PROXI was there and complete. A flashing odometer is a usual symptom of a PROXI communication issue with a module. I didn't have that.
The technician toggled the PROXI off & then back on for the TCM & BCM. I suppose that it was a 'reset' of sorts.
After that, the transaxle has shifted as smooth as butter.

There are also software updates for the PTU (AWD) and ESM (shifter). See attached.
Let us know how this turns out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 200-S-AWD:

I read 21-001-18C over again and also did a find in the pdf for word PROXI – nothing there. I remember speaking to the mechanic after he did the job and he told me this TSB does not require a PROXI Alignment. The mechanics only follow the steps in the TSB, if there is no step to do something - it's not done.

I see that this TSB requires the Transmission Quick Learn to be completed and I am under the impression that he followed the TSB and did that. The car was shifting good for 2 years.

I am not applying a new TSB to the car, so if I do a PROXI Alignment - will that hurt or help the car?

Does it need a QuickLearn after Proxi Alignment, if yes can AlfaOBA allow me to complete that?

Is QuickLearn required every so often because clutch packs wear down creating more volume to fill?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
I had the software update, Quicklearn & PROXI reset, in that order.
My technician had not heard about the PROXI step either. I showed him the document & he had no issues with doing it as the WiTech2 was still plugged into the car's OBDII connector.

I can find no documentation that says a PROXI is required after an update except for what I have provided.
The clutch fill times (CVI or clutch volume index) is an adaptive value. A Quicklearn is done initially, a Drive (adaptive) learn is adapting the CVIs as the clutches wear & the fluid ages.

Although there is no scheduled maintenance interval for driveline fluid changes, I plan on a front-to-back fluid service when the car reaches 60K miles (if only for peace-of-mind). It is, after all the fluids that the car was broken in with. The new synthetics are a wonder compared to the fluids that we used 30 years ago.

I can't see a PROXI reset hurting the car in any way. If there are parameters that have to be saved before the reset, do so in case you have to step back. I have only used the WiTech2 and have no experience with the Alfa-OBD. I do believe that it can perform a Quicklearn.
From the Ramforum:

Sky Font Magenta Darkness Signage

Although you are not changing anything, I'd back up the information as a precaution. Follow the instructions and you should be successful.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. If the car keeps slamming into 5 gear, I will get AlfaOBD and do a PROXI Alignment, it can't hurt.
Great info on the clutch pack filling. Chrysler or ZF should have installed a slam gear detonation sensor on the transmission, it would help the Techs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts