Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Winter Tires - 19 inches conversion

19K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  doovenator 
#1 ·
For those of you who didn't own the car last winter, the conversion to winter tires for the 19 inches wheels is 215/55/R17. I will leave the thread open for those wanting to post the conversion for the 18 inches wheels.

#2 ·
I didn't do a conversion. My car has the 18" wheel option and I used 18" for my winter tire setup. See pic ...
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Executive car Mid-size car

#4 ·
They actually recommend the same 17" tire when converting from an 18" tire Fernboy61. I guess so long as the smaller rim clears the calibers etc. This chart pic shows the CONVERSION CHART using my own tire size for reference.
Text Font Line Number Design

#6 ·
Right you are about the size! I'm in WINTERpeg Manitoba and bought my 2015s with 19 inch tires last November. Went through the entire winter with no problems but this year i decided to play it safe and get winter tires. The dealer installed 215/55/R17 rims with Goodyear snow tires. They worked great but there were some issues (finally corrected) in getting the TPMS to work. Seems like ONLY genuine Mopar TMPS work with this car .... NOT the after market ones. Funny that the dealer would have used after market ones but they were great and did correct the problem by using Mopar sensors on my 2nd trip back. They also did tell me to expect my speedo would be off a bit (about 1 km more at 100 kph so I'd actually be doing 101 when the speedo shows 100 kph). No biggie for me as I'm an 'slow poke'. Best thing to remember is the faster you go the higher the speed you'll be going over what is be shown on the speedo given the variation in tire size to a 17 inch rim. Best advice is to just keep it down a few KPH to avoid a ticket especially in school zones (ours are 30 kph here with ZERO tolerance). Loving my 2015 200s. The best of the season to all.

#7 ·
p.s. the steel wheels that they used which fit perfectly with no issues were Mopar's part # 2160003-15. An earlier steel wheel that they used rubbed against the caliper and this was the second one they tried and it fit perfectly. Hope this can be of help to anyone going for snow tires. By the way the car plows through snow like a tractor and it's not even the AWD version!!

#8 ·
I'm running my winter wheels without sensors. Not needed.

#11 ·
do you get any warning lights on the dash without them?
The light flashes a few times on startup then stays off. No chime.

#10 ·
HarryT55 Another pegger! What dealer did that for you? Just curious? I called around the other day and none of them had a clue of which steel wheels to order... I guess then 15-16 use a diff style lug. a bolt no studs.

#12 ·
Good morning fellow Pegger! I went to Waverly and they offered me a package deal with Goodyear winter tires, Mopar rims, sensor, installation etc for $1200 plus taxes ... not too bad. they had to try a few different rims to get the right one to fit. I had to use my 'dress' lugs as you say they are different being the Fiat type. I can't believe how the car now plows through the snow. I'm ready for the next big snowfall but with my luck after spending all this $$ we probably won't get much this year. THanks ... El Nino!! Good luck.

#14 ·
I found the ride on gravel to be undesirable with the stock 19s, so I went to 17s in general, and selected an "all weather" tire from Nokian. I've only put a couple hundred miles on them, mixed between dry and wet spring conditions in the Seattle area, but am extremely pleased. The car rides better, quieter and handles better on the bigger rubber with smaller wheels. They are rated as traction tires as well, so until "chains required" goes up on the reader board, I can drive the passes.

My dealer refused to fit stock 17s over the brake assembly from the 19's, so I went after market. The after market wheels I got saved me about 150 EACH, look better and offer easy clearance of the calipers that rub some 17s.

If you plan to move from factory installed 19s to 17s, do make sure your retailer understands offsets and clearances differ for the upgraded brake assembly you have.

EDIT: fair warning - mine is a plus size arrangement, adds about 2mph per 65 if you don't recalibrate the speedo.

#16 ·
#21 ·
16s will not fit on the 2015 200 if you have the HD brakes (I believe all AWD cars came with them). 17s are the smallest you can go and still clear the front brakes. My winters are 215/55R17 and any smaller rim would definitely hit the brake caliper.

#22 ·
I've never switch over to winter tires/rims and drove through three Ontario winters with the factory 19 inches rims and performance all-seasons. Traction has never been an issue for me with the AWD system, but I would highly recommend anyone with the 19 inch rims to switch for the sole reason of the rims not being able to withstand pot holes and rough roads in the winter. I have cracked my rims on two ocassions and both times they were in the winter.

#23 ·
Just wanted to give my thanks to those who said 17's would work on the 200 AWD S, went through tire rack and the vehicle finder actually listed 17's and 18's whereas others only listed 18's and 19's. Got these ones in case anybody else wants some for sure fitting ones. https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...oYear=2015&autoModel=200S+V6+AWD&autoModClar=
Clearance is super tight around the calipers with the balance weights in there. Super happy to have saved about $45-50 per tire from the 18" size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.