Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Chrysler Limited. A few times this has happened, When using the wipers, intermittent or full on wipe, it will stop working and move in a chopping motion very slowly in either direction or stop altogether. After a few moments it will work fine. But living in Northeast Ohio with the rain and snow coming, this could get scary. Of course if i take it to a garage, the problem won't happen and they won't know what to replace. It can only be the wiper switch, motor, or control module and i don't want to fix something that isn't needed. Anyone else have an issue like this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 CHRYSLER 200 LIMITED and the same thing is happening. I have taken it to the shop several times and of course, they could not reproduce the problem. Has anyone gotten a good response other than replacing the TPMI board completely? It seems that there must be a time delay relay that may be causing this issue which is a less costly repair than the latter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same exact problem in my 200 touring 2012. It happened once last year and twice this winter. But now it has become worse and i cant find a way to make it work normally again even if i wait a few moments or attempt to turn them on and off for few times. Help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is currently my situation. I have the wiper motor replaced ($280) and still the same issue. My mechanic said its most likely electrical and that the dealer will need to fix it which is expensive....everything at the dealership is expensive. Oh. And I'm in southeastern PA and we are currently in a nor'easter

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Gentle wiggling of wire connectors/harnesses may either induce a failure or get non-functioning wipers sweeping again.
The BCM, CCN, TIPM, etc may be storing helpful fault codes to narrow down the possible causes of intermittent wiper failures. Poor connections are a strong possibility.

If it requires a shop service, begin with the diagnostic fee at the dealer service dept (roughly $100 for one hour, depending on your location and shop). This 'diagnostic fee' is also the 'minimum charge' at many shops. Ask them to contact you with an estimate if more time/parts are needed than that.

Intermittent electrical can be very difficult to verify if a failure does not occur.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gentle wiggling of wire connectors/harnesses may either induce a failure or get non-functioning wipers sweeping again.
The BCM, CCN, TIPM, etc may be storing helpful fault codes to narrow down the possible causes of intermittent wiper failures. Poor connections are a strong possibility.

If it requires a shop service, begin with the diagnostic fee at the dealer service dept (roughly $100 for one hour, depending on your location and shop). This 'diagnostic fee' is also the 'minimum charge' at many shops. Ask them to contact you with an estimate if more time/parts are needed than that.

Intermittent electrical can be very difficult to verify if a failure does not occur.
Where are the BCM, CCN, TIPM modules? Can I read them with the OD2 meter? When you suggest playing with the wires, is it to the wiper motor or somewhere else? Thanks very much!

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Does moving the control stalk or wiggling the wiper motor connector or any intermediate connectors cause a reaction?
Having intermittent or no wipers is a safety concern. Do the windshield washers squirt?

What year is your 200?

An OBD2 powertrain scan tool generally won't read body system fault codes. Do you have access to a more capable scan tool?
The BCM is under the dash and manages a lot of body electrical functions. The CCN is the instrument cluster that processes the electronics in the steering column. The TIPM is out under the hood, it is the fuse/relay box. It is 'smart' power management.
These modules can store fault codes and run self-tests to give us a diagnostic direction to go in. Many problems are still caused by loose or corroded connections or wear, etc.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What year?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Chrysler 200, my wipers stopped in the middle of my windshield for a couple seconds and I turned my wipers off and then back on, Then my wipers went real fast a couple of times. What is causing this issue?
I have been dealing with this for 4 years now. I have had the wipers switch and relay replaced and the problem is still there. Someone suggested to have the wipers mother replaced but I have a feeling it is more of an electrical issue. Another mechanic said it may be the TIMP (Totally Integrated Power Module) "Computer Module". This could be a very expensive repair and probably be a service bulletins for Chrysler and made into a recall for these vehicles.
Let me know if you have gotten an answer to the issue. I would be very interested.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The wiper motor also contains the arm 'park' switch. I have seen these fail and have the symptoms that you describe.
Make sure that the wiper case is well-grounded and that there is no corrosion in the wiper motor connector. The motor/gearbox is mounted in rubber and depends on a good ground at G321.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Font Circle Electric blue Science Screenshot

Light Azure Rectangle Font Line

1 - 14 of 14 Posts