Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question: I recently traded my 2015 Chrysler 200 LX (with 17" tires) for a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited (with 18" tires). I was wondering if my LX winter tires (which are like new) could be used on my Limited with some kind of steel rim configuration. Here are the tire sizes for each vehicle:

2015 LX: 215/55R17 (no rims)

2013 LIMITED: 225/50R18 (stock rims)

If possible, would using different tire sizes affect the performance and/or damage my 200 Limited?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My garage seems to think that the 17" winters would work with steel rims since there is not much variance in tire height and width. I also noticed that other 2013 200 models came with 17" wheels and tires.

Does anyone know if the winter tires and rims can be put on without tire sensors (TPS) and whether the TPS system can be turned off for the winter season?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have read in this forum previously that a lot of people use 17" winter tires on these cars. You do know that the 2nd gen 200 rims will not fit on the 1st gen cars as they have different bolt patterns. 1st gen is I believe 5x114.3 and the 2nd gen is 5x110. As for you question re running your winter setup without sensors, yes you can. My current winter tires have never had the sensors (2nd gen). The dashlight comes on on startup but goes out quite quickly and with no alarm sounding.

Another thing to be aware of, If your current car has the 3.6 engine the brakes and calibers are usually bigger and may not accommodate the smaller rims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read in this forum previously that a lot of people use 17" winter tires on these cars. You do know that the 2nd gen 200 rims will not fit on the 1st gen cars as they have different bolt patterns. 1st gen is I believe 5x114.3 and the 2nd gen is 5x110. As for you question re running your winter setup without sensors, yes you can. My current winter tires have never had the sensors (2nd gen). The dashlight comes on on startup but goes out quite quickly and with no alarm sounding.

Another thing to be aware of, If your current car has the 3.6 engine the brakes and calibers are usually bigger and may not accommodate the smaller rims.
Thanks for the info--much appreciated. I'll have my garage have a look at the brake setup.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I should mention, for the benefit of our members in the USA, as I understand it, it is the law in the US that you must run sensors on your car and it's illegal to run them without.
Here in Canada they're not required by law.
Perhaps other members can jump in here and confirm.

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
TPMS has been mandated in the US since 2008. The European Union since 2012.
Like any federally mandated safety system, they should be in working order.
However the exceptions are individual states and their inspection ( or not ) of vehicles.

For instance, a new vehicle in New Jersey gets a 5 year inspection sticker. So, that means no inspections during that time. An owner could run a winter tire set up and not worry about the state inspection station saying anything about a "lit" warning light.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
559 Posts
For NY state inspection, I have to note any AIRBAG or TPM warning light on the repair order, but I can still pass and sticker it. Checking tire pressures is part of the NYSI.

I am not allowed to disable or compromise any safety or emission related device on any vehicle. I believe that is a Federal requirement.

The annual inspection requirement is currently suspended and an extension has been granted due to NYS COVID guidance:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2013 limited with 18 inch rims. I run 17 inch in the winter with 225/55/17 tires. The speedometer is pretty accurate and I get a bit more sidewall for potholes. There is no brake interference problems. I do have sensors in my winter rims and they only take 5 or 10 minutes to sync up.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks for the update guys. My two cents worth ... If you are required by law to have a functioning TPMS system on your car then you would be well advised to do so.
Huge problems could arise if you get involved in an accident and it was determined that you had no sensors you could in theory be in a lot of legal trouble

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2013 limited with 18 inch rims. I run 17 inch in the winter with 225/55/17 tires. The speedometer is pretty accurate and I get a bit more sidewall for potholes. There is no brake interference problems. I do have sensors in my winter rims and they only take 5 or 10 minutes to sync up.
Thank you for relating your experience with your 225/55R17 winters. My 215/55R17 winters should be OK then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts