Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Would you buy another 200?

7K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  seaguy 
#1 ·
Any good reason to not buy one? I’m about to pick up a 2017 base model with the 2.4L and 9 speed.

I read about the transmission issues especially with the older models, but from what I understand this has been resolved with the new programming.

Seems like a solid car overall. Any info regarding reliability/issues is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I had 3. I would still consider another.

#6 ·
I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.
They don't make 'em anymore ... sadly.

#7 ·
I would not. I bought a 2012 and it happens to be one with a possible known heater core problem that Chrylser has done nothing about. I found posts back to 2012 describing exactly the issue I am having and no recalls have ever been issued. I have no heat blowing out of the passenger side, only cold air. And now just this morning only have heat blowing out of the left drivers side vent, the drivers side lower vents and the right one now also only blow cold air and it was 23 degrees this morning. Needless to say I am NOT happy AT ALL. A new heater core plus labor is going to run almost $1000 for something they new was defective and chose to never do anything about.

#8 ·
I had a fairly similar problem with my '15. When I called for heat it was blowing really cold air from the left vents and heat from from the right vents. Turned out to be a faulty heat sensor within the left vents. The dealership replaced this sensor and everything now good. The sensor was covered under my Chrysler 419 plan extended warranty.

#10 ·
I would not. Mine recently had the same issues others have had with the ZF 9 speed transmission which ended up with the car undriveable and in the shop for 6 weeks. It has a brand new transmission now, thankfully just made it before the powertrain warranty ended. It is back to driving fine with the new transmission and as long as nothing else major breaks I'll probably drive it a few more years, but after this, along with the other reports I've seen on this transmission in other vehicles, I won't be buying anything else that uses this particular transmission.

#12 ·
If FCA fixed the minor probs the UF had...kept it around and used their new tornado straight 6 ( turbo please? )
I would

#13 ·
I bought a 2016 2.4L 9 speed a little over a year ago. Transmission is really slow switching from reverse to drive, as long as you wait for it to shift the tranny will last. The thermostats on these tend to go out soon but they can be replaced. The engine runs normally around 190 but the fans don't kick on until it hits 210-230 sometimes.. don't know how to fix that.. Bluetooth and amazing gas mileage is why I love mine even with its problems but i'm living with it.

#14 ·
No way! 9 speed transmission sucks in the city (great on highway.) Also look on the roads...there’s a reason you don’t see them as much everywhere. I bought mine because of low miles and looked brand new but the transmission bugs the crap out of me when it shifts hard sometimes.

#15 ·
Any good reason to not buy one? I’m about to pick up a 2017 base model with the 2.4L and 9 speed.

I read about the transmission issues especially with the older models, but from what I understand this has been resolved with the new programming.

Seems like a solid car overall. Any info regarding reliability/issues is greatly appreciated.
That's a hard no. My 2015 200s currently has 90,000 miles on it. The nav/radio went out and had to be replaced. Rear shocks are needing replacement, Oil cooler has been replaced. The a pillar interior molding was replaced (would not stay put) and the interior of both rear doors has to be repaired because the glue used at the factory was not effective. Also, after just 2 years two of the TPMS sensors were ruined and needed to be replaced. That's too many things going wrong on a car for me. The radio was the most expensive part and it went bad at around 40,000 miles. interior stuff was worked on under warranty but the replacement parts have failed, too. The car is fun to drive, though. I hear they made a lot of improvements in the 2016 so maybe they fixed some things.

#16 ·
In about another year from now, I plan on buying a used car for my kids. I have noticed low mileage (under 100k miles) 200's specifically limited for sale as low as $6500. BUT, not doing it. These cars when they break down are very expensive to fix and unless you are comfortable working on the car along with a great deal of patience it just isn't worth the low initial cost when fixing it is so expensive. I won't be buying another.

My ex is considering giving her Dart to the kids. I'm not even sure I want to deal with that. I may end up considering trading the Dart (with her ok) for a Corolla or another similar car.

#17 ·
I agree with your reasoning for your kids and I will add that most newer cars are going to be that way, even some of the very basic cars now are expensive to fix. I am happy my son has a 2000 Neon. Runs like a top, parts are dime a dozen if we needed them and it's cheap to fix.

Reactions: travman
#19 ·
My 7yr old 200 has been a great car. Still on the original brakes at 102,000 miles. My thermostat just started sticking. It is a $15 part from Autozone and takes 15 minutes to replace. The V6 has crazy power.
I had a 2000 Neon clean one owner with 280,000 miles on it when I turned it into the junk yard. The 200 is twice the car that the Neon was. I also own a Dodge Dart. Ha. My 01' Durango is barely broke in at around 175,000 miles.

#20 ·
I had a 2000 Neon clean one owner with 280,000 miles on it when I turned it into the junk yard. The 200 is twice the car that the Neon was.
Not sure anyone is comparing the Neon to a Chrysler 200 (I have owned 3 Chrysler 200's all purchased new) besides that it's much less expensive and easier to work on. My sons Neon has been in my family since it was purchased new in 2000.

#21 ·
I have a 2013, V6 and really like it. Other than recalls and wear items, I have had only two problems. A toe in link in the rear and the Wireless control module went bad. I find the car is really reliable, but I only have just over 112,000 Km (68,750 miles) on the car. It gets reasonable gas mileage. I intend to keep it as long as I can. If by accident I had to replace the car, I would look for a 2014 with the same options.

#23 ·
I miss my first gen's but - every time I think about getting another 1st gen in the future, I think of the improvements they made on the 2nd gen and AWD. Then again the first gen is less expensive and also less expensive to repair if it needs it, and can be tuned with a handheld tuner without physically altering the PCM or replacing it with one. :sneaky:

#22 ·
Nope!

There is always something to fix every 6 months or so, most of which I did myself, here's the latest, see attachment.
CarMax MaxCare extended warranty is paying for it, cost me only $200 deductible.
I still have 2 years and 8 months of MaxCare warranty left, probably will get a Hyundai or most likely a Genesis in the future, G80 or GV70.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
That's what I said in 2014 when all the people here with the second gen early builds were posting about transmission issues etc... then I got a loaner 2015 200 because my 13' was having something done- I don't even recall what... then after driving one for 3 or 4 days, I had to buy one against my better judgment - quote from me "never buy the first year of a new generation - you are just asking for it, none of the bugs are fully worked out"... I was right but I wouldn't change my mind if I could go back.

#27 ·
Most likely would not. Bought my 3.6 convertible from Hertz at about 40k miles. Been a decent car and made it relocating x country. However. The cold air, only, issue with the r/h vents has soured me. I’m not about to pay someone $1k to pull the dash, etc. to replace the heater core. This plugging problem should have been fixed via recall from Chrysler. We have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 bought new with 201k mikes. Wonderful vehicle with 0 problems save for replacing the std electrical and cooling parts. No heater core or Radiator issues and blows warm air on command.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.