Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had to read that article twice... lol

Does anyone have any insight to our 6-speed transmission? More specifically, I noticed that when I'm traveling at a smooth rate of speed and smash down the throttle, there is a momentary lag. I hear people say its the drive-by-wire throttle, but I'm not so convinced. Specially after reading that article:

"Under hard acceleration there is a momentary reduction in engine torque (courtesy of the computer to reduce clutch wear) and the shift occurs quickly and smoothly.."

I'm not complaining about the lag, I just want to understand "why".

2013 V6

·
Registered
165 Posts
if it's to reduce clutch wear, fair enough, it's not like people are buying these to lap the nurburgring. Anything that makes a car like this more reliable is a win.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torque converter is why... Its like if you were driving a manual and had to downshift before you could find any useable power.

·
Registered
720 Posts
in my old 01 sebring you could snip the torque sense wire and it woudl kill that soft shift

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am more curious how the power is split from front to back on the AWD models. Is there transfer case of some sorts? Anybody have pics of this set up?

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
From Allpar.com
The 2015 Chrysler 200 is the first mid-size sedan with complete rear-axle disconnect, which seamlessly switches between front- and all-wheel drive for full-time torque management and does not require input from the driver. The disconnect cuts parasitic losses by up to 80% compared with competitive systems, by keeping components with parasitic losses (driveshaft, ring/pinion, input clutch plates, servo-hydraulic pump assembly and planetary gear sets) stationary when the car is in front-wheel drive mode.

The system activates when the computer detects anything from road-surface changes to electronic stability control (ESC) activation. As much as 60% of torque can be transferred to the rear wheels, for a “rear wheel drive feel.”
The experience is intensified when sport mode is engaged; the drivetrain delivers all-wheel-drive when needed, with torque biased toward the rear, and modifies the stability control’s yaw response for more dynamic handling, while adjusting the V-6 engine’s pedal map and setting the nine-speed to firmer, quicker engagement.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just a little bit of history about ZF. I work for a major off highway equipment company that manufactures Ag and Construction equipment and we have been involved with ZF for years in the development of heavy duty axles. They are a global leader in drive-line technology founded in 1915 in Germany. They currently provide transmissions to BMW.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/homepage/homepage.html

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/products/product_range/cars/cars_9_speed_automatic_transmission.shtml

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Just a little bit of history about ZF. I work for a major off highway equipment company that manufactures Ag and Construction equipment and we have been involved with ZF for years in the development of heavy duty axles. They are a global leader in drive-line technology founded in 1915 in Germany. They currently provide transmissions to BMW.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/homepage/homepage.html

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/products/product_range/cars/cars_9_speed_automatic_transmission.shtml
They also provide transmissions to: Maserati, Jaguar, VW, Rolls Royce, Range Rover and now Acura. I was just speaking to some Acura reps this past weekend about the new TLX (It was at a fair I went to with the family). They were telling me this ZF 9sp was actually first produced as a truck engine. It's a heavy duty transmission that had to be detuned for the cars.

Oh and interestingly I found that the ZF 8speed used in the Charger/Challengers is the exact same one used in Rolls Royce vehicles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
They also provide transmissions to: Maserati, Jaguar, VW, Rolls Royce, Range Rover and now Acura. I was just speaking to some Acura reps this past weekend about the new TLX (It was at a fair I went to with the family). They were telling me this ZF 9sp was actually first produced as a truck engine. It's a heavy duty transmission that had to be detuned for the cars.

Oh and interestingly I found that the ZF 8speed used in the Charger/Challengers is the exact same one used in Rolls Royce vehicles.
This is why I find it funny when I read posts about the reliability of the transmission. The part designed by ZF is the last thing I'm worried about on my car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The only thing ZF did was design it. Chrysler manufactures it themselves in the US for the 200 and others under license. It all comes down to their quality control, material selection, etc.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The only thing ZF did was design it. Chrysler manufactures it themselves in the US for the 200 and others under license. It all comes down to their quality control, material selection, etc.
That's true for the transmissions for the 2.4L cars, but I've read that at least initially the transmissions for 3.6L vehicles were/still are made by ZF.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts