Chrysler 200 Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see. You definitely have a motor problem. The electric motor has to work hard, and over time it gets weak, just like a power window that gets slower over time.

Although taking it apart and lubricating helps, the problem is not solved.

Since everything works now it's clear that the system is ok.

If you want to be safe and fix it once and for all, buy a new latch motor either on ebay or at the dealer and replace it.

Since you figured out how to take the latch plate out, then open the top and when it's completed, remove the plate and replace the motor.

I have done plenty and to this day haven't seen bad switches, only tired motors.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was not a motor problem. It was more like a "stuck in place" problem. The arms had seized, probably because I didn't open the top all winter. What it needed was to be worked back and forth a few times and have some WD40. Then it was fine.

But I would caution anyone to not apply torque to that "star."

It absolutely looks like it is some kind of emergency manual mechanism for roof latching. If you manage to find a bit that fits on it (And I have to hand it to Chrysler engineers, they made it impossible to find a socket that will engage it) then you will get it to move and latch only when you've broken the worm gear.

My take away from this is that it is probably a good idea to operate the top a few times in the winter, because I don't think I have had it open since November, and in that time, the arms just seem to have gotten stuck. WD-40 is your friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about to purchase a 2013 Chrysler 200 convertible soft top in Toronto. I stumbled upon this forum today and after reading the posts, I am weary of completing the sale. The car needs a blend actuator. Other than that, everything works as it should, including the top. The car has 108,000km (67,108 miles for my American friends). The top has a minor fray issue starting at the front (size of a pencil eraser).

My concern is if I am somewhere with the top down and it won't close. Can I manually put the top up so that I can drive? I put in a call to Savio from this forum, as he appears to be genuine and knows his stuff.

Should I consider not buying this car? I have always wanted a convertible, but this forum is making me second guess my desire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buy the convertible; you will regret it if you don't. As my neighbor's mom once said "everyone needs to own a convertible at least once".

This forum is a small, but devoted, subset of all 200 owners and even smaller subset of convertible owners, here to help you enjoy your 200. At 108,000km, your car is still new in my book, but then again I drive my convertibles (on my third) to over 240,000 miles (385,000km). My current vert, 2014, has 'only' 52,000 miles on it. There were over 30,000 200 convertibles produced with the same top mechanics since 2008. There are 14,000 members here, fewer with convertibles.

Yes, there is a procedure to force the top to close. The likelihood of you getting a flat tire with an unusable spare tire is higher, in my estimation, than your top not closing. I have been driving convertibles for decades and never once concerned myself about the top not closing (sunburn yes, top no).

Salvio knows his stuff but there is a forum dedicated to sebring/200 convertibles that really know their stuff, sebringclub.net. They know more about these convertible tops than most any dealer.

Bottom line, fear not, just buy it and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy the convertible; you will regret it if you don't. As my neighbor's mom once said "everyone needs to own a convertible at least once".

This forum is a small, but devoted, subset of all 200 owners and even smaller subset of convertible owners, here to help you enjoy your 200. At 108,000km, your car is still new in my book, but then again I drive my convertibles (on my third) to over 240,000 miles (385,000km). My current vert, 2014, has 'only' 52,000 miles on it. There were over 30,000 200 convertibles produced with the same top mechanics since 2008. There are 14,000 members here, fewer with convertibles.

Yes, there is a procedure to force the top to close. The likelihood of you getting a flat tire with an unusable spare tire is higher, in my estimation, than your top not closing. I have been driving convertibles for decades and never once concerned myself about the top not closing (sunburn yes, top no).

Salvio knows his stuff but there is a forum dedicated to sebring/200 convertibles that really know their stuff, sebringclub.net. They know more about these convertible tops than most any dealer.

Bottom line, fear not, just buy it and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the advice and the education! I talked to Savio 30 minutes ago and he mentioned a few things that could potentially happen, but said the same thing you are saying. I'm picking the car up tomorrow. My wife thinks I'm coming home with a CRV lol! We'll see how that works out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm writing again from a computer, maybe this time there will be an IP address.

Anyways, I am pretty sure I got it figured out what the problem is with the convertible top for the latter sebrings and 200.

If anyone needs help free of charge, please contact me and I will be of assistance.
Savio,
I would like to discuss this over the phone with you. which dealership are you at?

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you would, please share your findings here. This forum exists to help others enjoy their 200 and offers tips for problem-solving and maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dealership's name is Duarte Auto Center.

Please call me 407-744-1437

The convertible top usually malfunctions because of the electric motor that power the top header latch.

There have been other issues reported in this forum, but the most common is the latch motor.

It's complicated to explain how to test it and replace it, I have written up on prior message, but it's much easier explained on a phone call.

I am a car dealer in Orlando Florida and I don't mind helping others, I don't charge anything and have repaired vehicles from people that live close by and bring it to me in person.

I do it because I use the internet/forums to help with car problems on my dealership and I believe in paying it forward.

This convertible top issue is a personal one for me as I feel like I was taken advantage off by the Chrysler dealership and after finding the solution for the problem, vowed to help others in the same situation.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts