Chrysler 200 Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a frustrated 2011 200 convertible owner, I also had top problems. Last year, I too got the dreaded "top not secure" Someone on another forum gave me the fix. The trunk also did not open with the fob or the dash button, and it was all related to a limit switch that had not quite set. The solution was to grab the silver strut on the side of the trunk just behind the taillight, when the trunk is open, and pull up on it a bit. You should see the wire cable that runs over it move slightly. It could be the left or the right one, so check both. Solved my problem with very little effort. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought this recently from someone and having issuses with the top it is currently stuck in the down position. The dashboard is currently saying top malfunction. How do i fix it ? Or get it to close manually so it doesn't get caught in the rain?

·
Registered
78 Posts
There will be dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes) in the power top control module (PTCM) that will assist in trouble-shooting the problem. This link describes how to access the PTCM and lists the dtc's. Note the tops for 2007-2014 are the same design and operation.

There is also a document in the link that describes the top operation that has a step-by-step procedure to operate the top using the appCar software tool and verify the sensors for each step to aid in trouble-shooting. The software costs around $50 and the OBD reader costs around $40.

Emergency Bypass Mode (To Raise The Top Only)
• This procedure is only to be used to raise the top when the top cannot be returned to the UP
(raised) position by pressing the POWER TOP switch or is in a position in which the vehicle
cannot be driven. Please follow these emergency bypass instructions to return the top to the
UP (raised) position.
• Press the POWER TOP switch in the Top Up direction five times within two seconds and hold
the switch in the Top Up position for a minimum of two minutes.
• If damage starts to occur while in the Emergency Bypass Mode, immediately release the
POWER TOP switch and see your authorized dealer.
NOTE:
This procedure may take more time to fully raise and close the power top. It is not
uncommon to see delays of up to 30 seconds before operation begins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I checked the second soft top 200 and the problem was the same.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Top opens and closes flawlessly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Any one needing help with this, let me know. I can help.
Can you tell me where the motor for the latches is

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,156 Posts
Welcome to the forums. See # 3 in the 2nd image (CST attaching parts) in the attachment below:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Question I tried to move the motor star bolt it’s stuck won’t move does that mean I need a new latch motor

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why do you believe you have a latch motor issue? Please describe what is happening. After the top stops, are you able to push and move the top up at the front by the windshield?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why do you believe you have a latch motor issue? Please describe what is happening. After the top stops, are you able to push and move the top up at the front by the windshield?
My top won’t move at all when I press the button windows move very little I checked the star bolt for latch motor to try to turn but it won’t turn and latches seem to have winched to tight the last time it closed so by what I have read I’m thinking it’s the latch motor

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,156 Posts
Always diagnose first. The PTCM (power top control module) has the ability to store fault codes and perform tests.
Each fault code has a procedure to narrow down the Possible Causes and nail the culprit. Guesses (even the good ones) can get expensive and frustrating:

MODULE, Power Top Control (PTCM)
  • Diagnosis and Testing
    • B18D1-CONVERTIBLE TOP RETRACTED POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B18D2-CONVERTIBLE TOP RETRACTED POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW
    • B1929-LEFT REAR WINDOW CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B192D-RIGHT REAR WINDOW CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B210A-SYSTEM VOLTAGE LOW
    • B210B-SYSTEM VOLTAGE HIGH
    • B210D-BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW
    • B210E-BATTERY VOLTAGE HIGH
    • B21C1-PTCM LEFT WINDOW/HEADER POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
    • B21C2-PTCM LEFT WINDOW/HEADER MOTOR GROUND CIRCUIT
    • B21C3-PTCM RIGHT WINDOW/TONNEAU POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
    • B21C4-PTCM RIGHT WINDOW/TONNEAU MOTOR GROUND CIRCUIT
    • B21C5-PUMP POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
    • B21C6-PUMP GROUND CIRCUIT
    • B2278-POWER TOP CONTROL MODULE INTERNAL
    • B235A-PRODUCTION MODE
    • B2520-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B2528-TONNEAU COVER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B2529-DECKLID RELEASE CONTROL CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B252A-DECKLID RELEASE CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2530-CONVERTIBLE TOP CONTROL CIRCUIT 1 OPEN
    • B2534-CONVERTIBLE TOP CONTROL CIRCUIT 2 OPEN
    • B2539-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH/UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CORRELATION
    • B253A-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B253B-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B253D-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B253E-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2540-CONVERTIBLE TOP SENSE LIMIT SWITCH/CONVERTIBLE TOP POSITION SENSOR CORRELATION
    • B2541-CONVERTIBLE TOP SENSE LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2542-CONVERTIBLE TOP SENSE LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2544-DECKLID LATCH LIMIT SWITCH/DECKLID POSITION SENSOR CORRELATION
    • B2545-DECKLID LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2546-DECKLID LATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2548-TONNEAU RETRACT/EXTEND LIMIT SWITCH CORRELATION
    • B2549-TONNEAU RETRACT LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B254A-TONNEAU RETRACTED LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B254C-TONNEAU EXTEND LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B254D-TONNEAU EXTEND LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B254F-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL LATCH/PANEL UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CORRELATION
    • B2550-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2551-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL LATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2553-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2554-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B255D-DECKLID OPEN POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B255E-DECKLID OPEN POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2579-CONVERTIBLE TOP SWITCH CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B257A-CONVERTIBLE TOP SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2515-REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR SUPPLY CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2517-LEFT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B2518-LEFT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B2519-RIGHT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B251A-RIGHT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B251B-LEFT REAR WINDOW - INCORRECT DIRECTION
    • B251C-RIGHT REAR WINDOW - INCORRECT DIRECTION
    • U0020-CAN B BUS OFF PERFORMANCE

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you getting a 'top malfunction' or 'top not secured' displayed? If so, getting the diagnostic codes as 200_s_awd suggests is necessary to determine where to start.

If there is no top malfunction displayed, the window drop is the first step. After the window drop, the trunk deck will open and the tonneau will extend. Only after this will the header latch motor activate to unlatch the top. The latch motor is midway through the top operation.

Before any top operation is started the PTCM will check the state of the various switches and sensors to determine if it is ok to proceed. At any time the sensor and switch readings do not match what the PTCM expects the top operation stops, a dtc is set and the 'top malfunction' is displayed.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts