Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Maybe the 2.4 is different than the 3.6 when you replace the battery, fltru103 has the 2.4.

I also had no check engine lights when I replaced my battery.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Engine light... came on probably because his battery was totally drained, mine was still good enough to use the radio...
If the engine feels weak when starting it up, it's a big clue that it's time replace the battery, also if the battery is almost 4 years old it's a good idea to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Going into the seventh winter with the original battery. Passes the alternator/battery test each fall. I was planning to replace it this summer, but my wife wanted the kitchen revamped to include a built in dishwasher. Happy wife or new battery? I'll pick a happy wife.

PS: I am retired, so there is little pressure to be anywhere on a schedule.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Very wise move sjrw11. lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Going into the seventh winter with the original battery. Passes the alternator/battery test each fall. I was planning to replace it this summer, but my wife wanted the kitchen revamped to include a built in dishwasher. Happy wife or new battery? I'll pick a happy wife.

PS: I am retired, so there is little pressure to be anywhere on a schedule.
If you can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a new kitchen, then you can afford a new battery, so do both.
Talking about happy wife, how happy do you think she'll be when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere in winter when your battery finally gives out then?

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
If you can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a new kitchen, then you can afford a new battery, so do both.
Talking about happy wife, how happy do you think she'll be when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere in winter when your battery finally gives out then?
Or maybe he has control over his own life and situation and is retired, has another vehicle and his kitchen/wife is a higher priority. I am sure he is well aware of the impact a battery would have on his vehicle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Or maybe he has control over his own life and situation and is retired, has another vehicle and his kitchen/wife is a higher priority. I am sure he is well aware of the impact a battery would have on his vehicle.
Thanks,
Perhaps he doesn't realize that a car can run without a battery, once it starts. We also have a cellphone to call roadside assistance. We also pay cash for most everything, so a reserve fund is important. Perhaps he doesn't discuss priorities with his wife. Once discussed, my wife would not complain of ANY consequence of the mutual decision. Forty six years of marriage makes for a really nice relationship. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
Thanks,
Perhaps he doesn't realize that a car can run without a battery, once it starts.
I wouldn't attempt that with today's advanced electronic laden vehicles. The battery serves more functions then supplying the power to start the car.
Just a single voltage spike, that normally would run though the battery, could damage many sensitive electronic components.

Don't try it.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
I have to second what was stated by fltru103, I actually wouldn't recommend disconnecting the battery after it's started.

I was just stating that it's no one's place besides you and your wife to decide what you do with your finances, sometimes things critical and what not need to be put off and none of us here know your situation, and the way the advise you were given by someone else here was pretty rude and disrespectful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replaced mine in our 2014 200 4-cyl at about four years old, just to be on the safe side. The ETC had been misbehaving at that time and I naively thought the battery might have been at least part of the reason. It was not, but since the fender well has to come off to change it I considered it time well spent.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's possible for an old battery to go "dead short" in which case the alternator will go to full output and maybe ruin it. That would cost a lot more than a battery. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REPLACE IT! heh heh

·
Registered
1 Posts
We replaced my battery a couple of days ago and now my odometer is flashing and heat and air won’t turn on. Even the fan 😕 96 degrees here in SC def not a good time for my freaking air to go out. Any ideas what to do? We’re closing in a house soon so a huge car repair bill is def not in the plans lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a "Battery Tender JR" on my 2016 Charger to keep the battery topped up since I only drive it once or twice a week (I work from home). The Charger has 37 modules that eat up the battery while it is just sitting in the garage, the 2015 up 200's have almost as many, and with the battery under the hood in the heat it is no wonder they die in 2-3 years. I bought my battery Tender off E-Bay for $27

http://products.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-0-75A.html

021-0123_Front.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
We replaced my battery a couple of days ago and now my odometer is flashing and heat and air won’t turn on. Even the fan  96 degrees here in SC def not a good time for my freaking air to go out. Any ideas what to do? We’re closing in a house soon so a huge car repair bill is def not in the plans lol
Welcome to the forum Melanie721 !
Sorry about your issues. Was the battery at a full charge ?
Was your electrical system checked to make sure your alternator is functioning properly ?
Also we don't know what year your 200 is and what model, engine, etc. Please fill out your profile section.
Since you posted in the 2015 2016 UF forum we will assume that is what you have.
These cars need a fully charged and functioning battery at all times.
Make sure the battery connections are tight and clean.

Best of luck with your new house !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well...i was forced to change my battery too this weekend.
I took the car last monday, everything was fine and dandy. Parked it outside as usual.
Thursday night around 9pm i went to open the trunk...nothing. Even with the remote. Went back inside to take the other remote...same thing.

I opened the door using the hidden key, dashboard never lit, only the dome lights, but very low.
Of couse, the car never started, not even a click. So i took the Volt.

The next day i went to the autostore and bougt a brand new battery 94R type @ 200$ CAD and the car is alive now.
It took 3 cycles in order for the “awd system temporary unavailable” to disappear. The message only appeared once after the engine starts and disappear 3 secs later.

A good way to start the weekend with 200$ less in my pocket lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well...i was forced to change my battery too this weekend.
I took the car last monday, everything was fine and dandy. Parked it outside as usual.
Thursday night around 9pm i went to open the trunk...nothing. Even with the remote. Went back inside to take the other remote...same thing.

I opened the door using the hidden key, dashboard never lit, only the dome lights, but very low.
Of couse, the car never started, not even a click. So i took the Volt.

The next day i went to the autostore and bougt a brand new battery 94R type @ 200$ CAD and the car is alive now.
It took 3 cycles in order for the “awd system temporary unavailable” to disappear. The message only appeared once after the engine starts and disappear 3 secs later.

A good way to start the weekend with 200$ less in my pocket lol
Better now, than the middle of the winter! :cool:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
17 Participants
Matrix21
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing